Remembering passwords

Reaction score
I've searched Keychain and "remembering passwords", but cannot seem to get help on remembering passwords on certain websites. Is there a program for it? I've not been "asked" like I normally am, before I put in a password.

I don't want to remember all, just a few.

Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not free, but it's the best. 1Password

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks. I assume it is trustworthy?

My computers have always "asked" me if I wanted the pw to be saved, so I was hoping the Mac had the same program.

Not a big deal, at least it can be done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7, 8Gb Ram, 1TB, Snow Leopard
KeepassX

I use a tool called keepassX to store my passwords for the various websites I deal with. The master database is itself password protected. I see that there's a mac port of the tool. Oh, and it's free.

Good luck,
Elessar

C

chas_m

The Keychain (built into OS X) works fine, and can even generate complex passwords for you. The only password you HAVE to be able to remember is the keychain's master password (which for most people is the same as their admin password).

1Password and programs like it are more flexible and easier to manage, but essentially the Keychain is all you actually need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
While Keychain access may be all you need it is darn convenient to sign into webpages with one click. Call me lazy :D
And if you encounter a fishing site, programs like 1Password will not let you auto fill in the account information on the site.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have been using Safari and I believe I used Mozilla on my older Mac. It had a password program of some kind and it may have just been Mozilla.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Keychain does have a plist file:

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.keychainaccess.plist

I don't know if exchanging yours for a fresh one would help the situation though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.