Transferring iTunes

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought my first Mac about a week ago. I am enjoying it, but still learning a lot!

I want to transfer my iTunes from my PC to my Mac. I know there are suggestions of how to go about this, and I did find this:

To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:

1. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
2. Make sure that both computers are turned on.
3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:
* smb://DNSname/ShareName
* smb://IPaddress/ShareName

5. Click Connect.
6. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name, user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
7. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
8. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on your Mac.
9. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

I have no clue as to what the bolded section means. DNSname? ShareName? What are those things? Also what is the PC's workgroup name?

I am new to a lot of computer-related things and this is over my head. Can someone give me the "iTunes transfer to Mac for dummies" version of these instructions?

I can't wait to get my iTunes up and running on the Mac. Its the last thing I have to do to make the transition complete. Thank you in advance!!

N2M79

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not transfer the iTunes program from your PC to your new Mac as the files and program are not compatible. Snow Leopard already includes the latest version of iTunes. What you might be thinking is transfer your iTunes library from your PC to your Mac. See the following LINK to learn how.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks Chscag, I followed the link you gave me, but for some reason only 443 of my songs came through. I have almost 6,000. I checked the folder of the folder location and all my songs are there, they just didnt come through.

Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.