Full Write Capabilities to Mac Public Folder from PC

Reaction score
Please bear with me, I'll give you a quick background of my issues and get to a few of my questions-

I had a Vista PC and Macbook. Had all my important files on my PC and I used my Macbook occasionally. Then I started getting the BSOD with my PC and couldn't log in normally, so I eventually decided to use my Macbook full-time. At this point I transferred everything over to my Macbook and set up all my programs as though I would never touch my PC again, and perhaps sell it for parts.

Turns out my Macbook is pretty slow when it comes to running Illustrator/Photoshop/Aptana Web Development IDE as it always freezes for 5-10 seconds when I perform various actions - ex. when I click on a new object in Illustrator, or a new layer in Photoshop, it give me the spinning waiting indicator for 10 seconds and then resume working normally. This has caused me a ton of frustration, and I can only add 1 more GB of RAM to my Macbook so it led me to upgrading to Windows 7 on my PC which solved the BSOD issue.

Thing is, I really do like Mac OS better than Windows, however I don't have the money to buy a new Macbook or Macbook Pro at the moment (my Macbook is a 2007 model).

My idea was to keep all important files on my Macbook so if I have to go anywhere, they are always with me... but I wanted these to be accessible to my PC since I would use that for performance heavy tasks like running multiple Adobe programs at once. The solution would be to put these onto my Public folder so they are accessible on my home network. Problem is the writing issue. If I open a file on my PC from the Mac public folder through the network, I cannot edit and then write to this file.

So I ask of you, is there a way to do this? I've read about MacDrive but I thought that might only be for USB or internal partitions only. Any help is much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
Try right clicking (or command-click) the folder you want to be read and write, click Get Info, then scroll to the bottom of the box. There should be a little permissions box where you want to change the permission for "Everyone" to "Read & Write"

That should do the trick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.