• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPad Mini Rumor

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There was a pretty active thread 2-3 weeks back about the speculation that Apple might release an updated iPad in time for Christmas. Of course some folks agreed & some disagreed.

As usual...Apple may end up proving the "doubters & supporters" both right or both wrong (depending on how you want to look at it)...by releasing an "iPad Mini" in time for Christmas:

7-Inch iPad to Launch By Christmas?

If this turns out to be true...then we will have a:

- "regular" sized iPod Touch (current iPod Touch)
- "medium" sized iPod Touch (new product)
- "large" sized iPod Touch (current iPad)

...to choose from!;);)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yeah, I've seen that before. Won't catch me using one. I already think my iPad screen is a tiny bit too small. And I definitely wouldn't want a larger iPod Touch screen. I would prefer 12" or 13" for the iPad. ...but that's my personal preference, so yeah....

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I've seen that before. Won't catch me using one. I already think my iPad screen is a tiny bit too small. And I definitely wouldn't want a larger iPod Touch screen. I would prefer 12" or 13" for the iPad. ...but that's my personal preference, so yeah....

My guess is when Apple did a lot of consumer & focus group testing before the iPad was released...it was probably a VERY difficult decision on Apple's part deciding on just how large the iPad display should be. Apple probably had a lot of folks saying they wanted something MUCH larger than the iPod Touch/iPhone display...and then there were probably a lot of folks that said they wanted a "somewhat" larger display.

So Apple probably a had REALLY tough time deciding between a 9.7" display & a smaller display (like this rumored 7" display). Given the tremendous sales of the 9.7" iPad (with still a 7-10 day wait for a new iPad ordered from the online Apple Store 6 months after it's release)...the 9.7" display decision seems to have been a good one.

Apple is probably thinking that with so much demand for the 9.7" iPad...maybe there's room for a 7" iPad. Or maybe Apple is just trying to see what the actual "perfect" size is for the iPad...by releasing a smaller version...and seeing how it sells.

This certainly doesn't address the desire by some folks for a larger then 9.7" iPad...guess we'll have to wait and see.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I think the iPad is big enough, if it got any bigger I doubt people would want to carry the thing around, but a 7'inch iPad before Christmas would be good. I'd definitely buy one.

Reaction score
I think a smaller iPad would be great for kids. It will fit in their hands better and not be to small like the iTouch. I know this isnt Apples target demographic but if I was to get one it would be to load it up with games and hand it off to my son on long car trips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think the current ipad screen is plenty big enough. And to be the emphasis of the ipad is portable. And the bigger you make the screen, the less portable it is. And then the cost would go up too and you'd be approaching the Macbook price range. And personally I think if the screen sizes were the same and the price was the same people would get the Macbook every time. I know I would.

So in short a bigger screen ipad I hope Apple do not do.

But a mid sized ipad hmmmm. As long as it does not turn out like the Newton/Apple of the 90's where they had way to many product lines then ok. I like how APple have tried to condense their product lines down to a small number.

And another thing is a mid sized ipad would make people think. Hmmmm to I want regular or mid sized ipad. And they think and think. And thinking in this light is bad. Simply because I'd rather have very distinct product lines. So people go "I want a large touch screen" that's ipad. "I want a small touch screen" that's the touch. "I want a phone" that's iphone. Easy to work out what product is for you this way. But add to many product lines and and it all becomes a mess cause more than one product would suit you and then it'd just be a big mess.

So in short I say stick with the ipad/touch as it is now.

C

chas_m

I addressed this in a different thread on this same forum. Bottom line: I don't think so, for a variety of supportable reasons.

Reaction score
I think it is ridiculous to have different product that is 2 inches smaller! I think iPad size is perfect! Apple usually invest in a product type that is just not a mere another option, but they try to cover areas, niches etc.

iPad= tablet/netbook market
iPhone= smartphone market
iPod= music player market
iTouch= PMP market
Now iPad mini or iTouch maxi would be an in between product that most likely would be promoted as the bigger PMP? I can't see the hook besides screen size....movie/video focus? Video camera on this one rather than iTouch?

I mean they will sell, but I wouldn't want one. Because anything bigger than 4 inch isn't pocket size and if I will need a bigger space and have to carry bag I would then prefer bigger screen size hence would get current iPad...if the new product doesn't bring anything new to the table and is mere another option then shame really.

Reaction score
I think the rumor is more likely suggesting the iPad being changed to 7", not both. Either way, I'm happy with my current iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
As far as I can tell, the only use for an iPad mini would be to answer all of the massive Android phones rolling out of the factory. As far as I'm concerned, 7" is a bit of an awkward size. The iPhone fits in a pocket acceptably well, the iPad is more of a home- or bag-sized device; 7" won't really fit in either category...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If it was cheap enough and small enough

I would be interested in something a little bigger than iPhone or iPod Touch as a second eReader--5 to 6 inch would probably be the appropriate size for me. I've considered picking up a Kindle if the price gets low enough for that purpose. But price would definetly become a factor for me; I wouldn't be interested in 3g or anything much beyond its usability with eBooks so anything much over $150 would take it off my radar.
Doubt if Apple would come out with anything that would meet my use and price profile so for now I will remain happy with my iPad and iPhone. :)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...so anything much over $150 would take it off my radar.

A refurbished "bottom-end" 8 gig iPod Touch costs $149, and a new one costs $199...so a 7" iPad mini (or whatever it would be called)...would have to cost more.

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A refurbished "bottom-end" 8 gig iPod Touch costs $149, and a new one costs $199...so a 7" iPad mini (or whatever it would be called)...would have to cost more.

- Nick

That's pretty much the way I see it too.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's pretty much they way I see it too.

If a new "entry level" 8gig iPod Touch is $199...and a new "entry level" 9.7" iPad is $499...then logically a new 7" "entry level" iPad price would fall somewhere within that range. Where the price falls exactly would help to determine if it's worth it.

Knowing Apple as I do...you can almost bet that the 7" iPad would not have some of the features of the "full-size" iPad...because just like the Macbook vs. Macbook Pro comparison...that's how "they" get you to spend more money!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
If a new "entry level" 8gig iPod Touch is $199...and a new "entry level" 9.7" iPad is $499...then logically a new 7" "entry level" iPad price would fall somewhere within that range. Where the price falls exactly would help to determine if it's worth it.

Knowing Apple as I do...you can almost bet that the 7" iPad would not have some of the features of the "full-size" iPad...because just like the Macbook vs. Macbook Pro comparison...that's how "they" get you to spend more money!;)

- Nick

I'll be willing to bet that Apple has some exciting and new things to introduce in the next week or two.

-new iPod touch
-new iPad
-redesigned iPod nano?

Can't wait.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be willing to bet that Apple has some exciting and new things to introduce in the next week or two.

Uh-oh...somebodies crystal ball must be working well!;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Nick

And they are generally pretty successful in tapping my wallet. :D

But there are limits. The current iPad and iPhone combo meets my wants very well. An in between product would have to be priced at too good to be true levels or offer some feature or capability I don't currently have (and can be convinced--unfortunately not all that hard to do--that I really want). :)

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And they are generally pretty successful in tapping my wallet. :D

But there are limits. The current iPad and iPhone combo meets my wants very well. An in between product would have to be priced at too good to be true levels or offer some feature or capability I don't currently have (and can be convinced--unfortunately not all that hard to do--that I really want). :)

Apple always has a "sneaky" way of coming out with something new that you just feel like you can't live without! ;)...no matter how many Apple devices you already own...and would be made redundant by the new device.

Stop fighting it...;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.