RIP 1 week old MBP.. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.66 i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
Hey all,

I'm trying to get a grasp on some other users experience with exchanges and Apple Care... As the title states, my week old MBP is currently in a coffin (Bad Airport Card). I have worked in tech support, and electronics, i understand that not every single piece of electronics can be perfect... My issue is surprisingly with the support ive been given.. Having been in my local Apple store a few times, every employee has been extremely helpful, concerned on a personal level, absolutely fantastic...

Since I received my MBP (17", i7 2.66gHz, 4GB ram etc etc..), ive been having some minor issues with wireless connectivity, but always assumed it was my router.. This morning, my Airport Card is not detected.. So i called AppleCare and spoke to a Tech that was fantastic.. diagnosed the issue (bad logic board) and set me up for an appointment at my local Apple Store to further diagnose / troubleshoot.. Everythings fine... I get to my appointment.. the Genius is extremely helpful, and notes in my file that Logic Board is in fact bad. He checks stock for an exchange, but unfortunately Apple Stores do not carry 17" i17s.. which I find strange, but that's besides the point.. So he tells me to call Apple Care back and request an Advanced Exchange (with a Credit Card Hold). So I called Apple Care back.. and things started going downhill.. the Tech I spoke to didn't really seem to know what was going on, didn't have proper info, and seemed to think that my Airport Card is now working fine... He transfers me to Sales (with an incorrect case number at that) to set me up for an exchange... Sales tells me that they don't do advanced exchanges!!!???!!! Now I'm ticked.. (I've kept my cool the WHOLE time up until now) After calling the store back, then a few other calls to AppleCare, apparently Advanced Exchanges are just not possible even on brand new machines, but Ipods only?... Ultimately I am getting a standard exchange, however, given the runaround has left a slight bad taste in my mouth.. Up until today any and all Apple experiences have been fantastic.. I'm hoping that I just had the rare "bad apple" (sorry, horrible pun..) and I absolutely LOVE my MBP (which is my first real Apple experience, aside from my 120gb ipod..) I'm curious if anyone has ever had similar issues with a brand new Mac and if the "exchange" process is usually done in a swift manner? I havn't even shipped it off yet, and already I miss it!!

/rant (sorry..)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
From my own experience, I just think you got unlucky. I've never had any major problems with Apple's customer service, even though I don't have Apple Care. Every time I've taken my MBP to the Genius Bar for troubleshooting, they've been attentive even if they couldn't quite figure out my problem. Even though my MBP was not covered by Apple care anymore, they plucked a stuck CD from the superdrive, replaced a busted key, and gave me a brand new power adapter... all at absolutely no cost.

All it takes is one misinformed salesperson or service rep to send you down the wrong path. I think that with the number of transactions and customers they must deal with every day, it's inevitable that someone is going to get the runaround. Just sucks that it was you this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
I find this experience really interesting too. I've had a new battery installed for free in under 10 minutes, a faulty Superdrive replaced in 2 days - all with no questions asked. I hope you get your new machine soon, the MBP's are really enjoyable to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you're ever in a Store and they tell you, for whatever reason, that they can't help you and you have to call AppleCare, don't leave the store without calling whoever they say to call. Use your cellular phone, borrow the store's phone, whatever, but don't just go home all by yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.