Crash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I wemt to my desk this evening to find my screen blank and assumed it was asleep.

It seems to be quite dead. I've tried pressing the power button, checked the fuse in the plug.

I've also tried the instructions on p46 of 'Everything Mac'. That is I've tried pressing power button followed by Command, Option, P & R on keyboard. It's difficult to do all of these simultaneously, although I've tried that. Option key is immediately to left of Comand key, i.e. where Alt is on Windows keyboards?

I think my 90 days Applecare has just expired although the warranty is still good.

Can anyone think of anything else before I call them in the morning?

M

MacInWin

The obvious: Is it plugged in (at every point, if there are multiple connections)? Is there power at the outlet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yes, Alt and Option are one and the same key.

⌘ = command
⌃ = control
⌥ = option
⇧ = shift
⇪ = caps lock
⇥ = Tab Key
⎋ = Escape Key
⏏ = Eject Key
⌫ = delete (the one above the return key)
⌦ = forward delete (the one in the page up/down/home/end cluster)
⌧ = clear
⏎ = return

Reaction score
You didn't say which machine you have- personally I would try unplugging from the wall and if you have a machine with a power brick, unplug the brick from the machine. Let it sit awhile so all the electrons go away then plug it all back in and try again. (Several years ago my wife claimed that her LCD monitor at home was dead, so I went by BestBuy and bought a new one for her. After she unplugged hers and plugged it back in, it worked again and now I have a spare monitor that hasn't been used much. It would be OK now but I can't get the darned monitor to connect to my Mac Mini.)

C

chas_m

PS. You have a year of Applecare. You only get 90 days of free *telephone* support.

I'd suggest, if you are eligible, to look at buying the extended AppleCare. This will increase your warranty a further three years.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Crash etc

You didn't say which machine you have- personally I would try unplugging from the wall and if you have a machine with a power brick, unplug the brick from the machine. Let it sit awhile so all the electrons go away then plug it all back in and try again. (Several years ago my wife claimed that her LCD monitor at home was dead, so I went by BestBuy and bought a new one for her. After she unplugged hers and plugged it back in, it worked again and now I have a spare monitor that hasn't been used much. It would be OK now but I can't get the darned monitor to connect to my Mac Mini.)

It's an iMac OS X 6.4 so brick doesn't apply.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Applecare

PS. You have a year of Applecare. You only get 90 days of free *telephone* support.

I'd suggest, if you are eligible, to look at buying the extended AppleCare. This will increase your warranty a further three years.

As you answered my previous questions re external hard drives I am wondering if the failure of my Time Machine hard drive could be connected in any way.

Because it had failed and I couldn't back up to my NTFS hard drive I saved some stuff to Bootcamp but when I switched to Windows my corded mouse wouldn't work although it was lit up. This meant that I couldn't back up to disk. I just hope that the iMac can be recovered.

Yes I think I'll try to go for the 3 year cover for Applecare. Thanks for your help.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's almost a month since the crash. apple were unable to repair and gave me a new iMac. Unfortunately external HDD used as Time Machine crashed a few days previously before I had time to replace it.

I have found somebody who will try and retrieve lost data and he suggests that I get a Time Capsule and archive with external HDD.

This sounds like an expensive solution. Is it possible to have 2 HDDs, eg My Passport for Mac, as Time Machines to alternate daily?

I went to my desk this evening to find my screen blank and assumed it was asleep.

It seems to be quite dead. I've tried pressing the power button, checked the fuse in the plug.

I've also tried the instructions on p46 of 'Everything Mac'. That is I've tried pressing power button followed by Command, Option, P & R on keyboard. It's difficult to do all of these simultaneously, although I've tried that. Option key is immediately to left of Comand key, i.e. where Alt is on Windows keyboards?

I think my 90 days Applecare has just expired although the warranty is still good.

Can anyone think of anything else before I call them in the morning?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.