• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

External DVD Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.66Ghz i7 8GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 240GB OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro SSD & 480GB Mercury Pro SSD
I have hours and hours of home movies on DVD that I wish to place on an external hard drive. I'm concerned with burning up my MacBook Pro's internal DVD drive and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good external DVD drive to use in lieu of the internal one.

Reaction score
... ...

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the life of your internal DVD drive. That's what is there for, to handle usage, or heavy usage, if needed. Isn't that why we spend so much money and invest into these machines in the first place?

Even if your internal dvd drive does go bad, you can simply buy a replacement one and if you are up for it, install yourself. It is a very simple thing to do, there are plenty of self-install videos out there.

The web-site I'd go to buy a replacement internal DVD drive is OWC (Other World Computing = Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC) They even upload the videos to show you how to install it yourself and save yourself some money.

You can also look into buying their external DVD drives, or even Blu-Ray read/write external drives all-in-one.

Again, you have an internal DVD drive for a reason. Use it, abuse it if you have to and if it ever breaks down, just know that the replacement for an internal DVD drive is relatively inexpensive. CHeck that web-site out and you'll see for yourself. Hope that helps... ...

C

chas_m

Actually, it's a BAD IDEA to overuse the internal DVD burner, since in most cases its a PITA to replace.

By "overuse," I simply mean burning multiple copies in direct succession. The DVD drive actually gets *quite* hot during the burning process and I've noticed that letting it cool down between burns seems to avoid issues.

If you're not doing that, then schizzo is right -- though his idea of "very easy" and yours may be QUITE different, particularly depending on what model Mac we're talking about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.