looking to get a mac but have a few ?'s

Reaction score
I write books so i need a laptop that is reliable and sturdy above anything else,
added benefits would be the ability to run a constant backup whilst writing
and multitasking of huge documents that contain hundreds of high resolution tiff files, that end up converting into 2gbs or more sized pdfs

i have no gaming needs so am unsure whether or not 4gb ram will benefit me, or if a 4gb ram limit will mean that i will need to upgrade again too soon

i need a laptop that will last at the least 3 years and am struggling to choose between a macbook, macbook pro and an hp pavillion dm4 that has a metal casing and is 630 pounds for similar specs to the 15inch macbook pro, but build quality is important to me and if macbook or the pro version offer a huge difference then im happy to pay the extra but would like to save so i can buy software such as iworks and adobe otherwise i will use freeware

im happy using either windows or osx

also i heard that the mac is able to convert to pdf without installing third party apps, if this is true does anyone know if it is possible to convert to the highest quality possible, in the program i currently use this mode is called professional or source so that no image quality is lost in the tiff image files

is it easy to install fonts on a mac (saved on my hard drive from a windows laptop) and will documents i have written in star office with some unusual fonts (such as adobe caslon pro, diavlo, and geosans used in my saved odt files be readable (and useable) on a mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
RAM: 4GB of ram should be plenty! I originally got my MacBook Pro in 2008 with 4GB of ram and have felt no need to upgrade it. I can run multiple applications smoothly unless I'm running graphic-intense games which you mentioned you don't do.

Lifespan: I can't speak for the MacBook, but I can tell you that my MacBook Pro will be two years old and aside from a few unnoticeable scuffs on the bottom of the case, one could never guess I've had it for that long. There have been plenty of times where I'll accidentally bump it on something else (the floor when I'm putting my bag down, the car trunk) and the thing doesn't even get a mark or ding on it. The build quality is superb and the tolerances on these things are insane.

To provide some extra protection if you plan on carrying it around in a backpack or with other objects, get a neoprene sleeve case - it should offer some extra protection.

PDF: If you plan on using Pages, it has a really handy Export option that you can use to make PDFs. I believe Preview (Mac's default file viewer that handles almost everything under the sun) also has some features for PDF exporting. In my experience with PC and Mac, Mac is definitely more PDF-friendly.

Fonts: Installing a font consists of double clicking on the font file and then clicking "Install Font" - it will then show up in an application called "Font Book" which is a handy organizer you can use to browse all the fonts installed on your computer. I do not believe the "unusual" fonts you listed are included in the OS (All I have is Adobe Caslon Pro which probably came with Illustrator CS5). Finding the font files on your PC and installing them manually is the best solution I can think of.

Good luck in your research! I hope you end up choosing the best computer for you.

Reaction score
i need a laptop that will last at the least 3 years and am struggling to choose between a macbook, macbook pro and an hp pavillion dm4 that has a metal casing and is 630 pounds for similar specs to the 15inch macbook pro,

Holy crap! That thing ought to be INDESTRUCTIBLE!!! When it wears out, you can use it to anchor your house down in a hurricane! ;D

OS X does indeed convert to pdf natively. I think any of the line up would do what you need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I write books so i need a laptop that is reliable and sturdy above anything else,
added benefits would be the ability to run a constant backup whilst writing
and multitasking of huge documents that contain hundreds of high resolution tiff files, that end up converting into 2gbs or more sized pdfs

i have no gaming needs so am unsure whether or not 4gb ram will benefit me, or if a 4gb ram limit will mean that i will need to upgrade again too soon

i need a laptop that will last at the least 3 years and am struggling to choose between a macbook, macbook pro and an hp pavillion dm4 that has a metal casing and is 630 pounds for similar specs to the 15inch macbook pro, but build quality is important to me and if macbook or the pro version offer a huge difference then im happy to pay the extra but would like to save so i can buy software such as iworks and adobe otherwise i will use freeware

im happy using either windows or osx

also i heard that the mac is able to convert to pdf without installing third party apps, if this is true does anyone know if it is possible to convert to the highest quality possible, in the program i currently use this mode is called professional or source so that no image quality is lost in the tiff image files

is it easy to install fonts on a mac (saved on my hard drive from a windows laptop) and will documents i have written in star office with some unusual fonts (such as adobe caslon pro, diavlo, and geosans used in my saved odt files be readable (and useable) on a mac

Do NOT get an HP laptop if you're looking for it to last. I'd stick with Asus, Toshiba, and Sony if you're looking for build reliability outside of the Mac world. However, the benefits of the OS giving you a nice constant backup solution as well as the build quality and support that comes from Apple, you will be more than satisfied with a MacBook Pro. You won't need all that power, but the aluminum case is nice. I'd stick with the 13 inch, but yea! Do it up!

By the way, I sell PCs for a living, if that makes any difference.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for your replies, ive decided that i wont get the hp, i am still deciding between the macbook and the pro model since the white macbook has been updated to similar specs and i like the look of it, i hear it is just as sturdy but prone to scratches but planned on covering it with a decal to preserve it, is the aluminum more sturdy when it comes to knocks and bumps than the white version, im just a little cautious in spending the extra 150 if the benefits are only the look and the ram, but if it holds up to daily abuse over time better then ill get it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
If the regular Macbook fits your needs, I say go for it! Like you said - aside from the form factor and some specs, they both function exactly the same. No shame in saving a few dollars :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 5,5
Holy crap! That thing ought to be INDESTRUCTIBLE!!! When it wears out, you can use it to anchor your house down in a hurricane! ;D

OS X does indeed convert to pdf natively. I think any of the line up would do what you need.

Haha, when he says pounds he means currency not weight!

Either way I'd highly recommend a MacBook Pro based on your needs. Bare in mind it's not only the laptop itself you are buying but the superb operating system. It's very stable, has built-in backup utilities (Time machine is very impressive) and you'll find that it doesn't require a lot of third-party software like Windows does. However if you find that there isn't a particular tool built-in to the OS, there are plenty of third party applications out there that are superb to use as they all share the same consistency as Apple's own applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.