does everything have to be an "event" in iphoto?

Reaction score
Ok so organizing my pictures into "events" in iphoto makes sense for most pictures. But not all. Consider, for example, pictures of our dog. We'll take random pictures whenever she looks cute or something, and there's nothing "eventful" about it other than perhaps that it's a saturday in August. Unless I'm missing something, I see these options:
(1) Muck up my events section, so that intermixed with real events (e.g., Trip to London, New Years Party, etc.) are random events (e.g., Saturday in August) that mean nothing to me. That is, unless there's a way to "hide" certain events like this so that they don't show up here?
(2) Create an artificial event (e.g., "Pictures of Dog") that isn't really an event at all, by merging all those saturdays that we took pictures of our dog into one "event."

What makes more sense for these types of pictures is to just have an album for Pictures of Dog. But from what I understand, albums are just pictures collected based on certain criteria (e.g., based on collecting all pictures that have the keyword "dog" applied to them); the pictures in them are still associated with events and thus still show up in the events. There's no way to just have albums for things that aren't true events.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to best organize these types of pictures in iphoto? I am a new switcher to mac and am not tied down to any particular photo organizing application, so I am open to others. However, i'd prefer to not have to buy additional software if iphoto will do; indeed, one of the reasons many people gave for switching in the first place was the ilife suite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I use option two. I have one "event" for each of our cats and every random picture I took of them go in their respective folder. So one event spans years. I also have a couple of Misc events where I put other random photos.

Organize it however you want. No need to take the term "event" so literally.

Reaction score
I want EVENTS on Aperture!

This isnt gonna help the OP, but I want to know if there is a way to automatically create events in aperture.

I cant seem to just drag newly processed photos (lightroom) to the aperture icon and create it as a dated event.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
In Aperture use Import from the File menu and you can set up whatever options you prefer for importing (such as renaming files etc)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod | iPhone
Same as already posted, think more about the "event" name as a "Picture folder label" and then arrange you photos the way that makes it easiest for you to find them again.

Vacations often ends with a lot of photos taken so there it can be best to arrange every trip in their own "folder", while other pictures like them of your dog would be a good idea to collect in one "Dog" folder :)

But again do what suits your interests and photos best :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.