• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Transfer Video from "SONATA VOLUME" to MAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad, iPhone, iPod, iMac 24", MacAir, MacBook Pro 13"
Hi everyone,

This topic is top-notch for me, and my head is about to explode.

I have some 20 year old videos, that were passed from tape to digital a few months ago. A friend's friend recorded it into some DVD's, and now I have a bunch of CD's with the name SONATA VOLUME.
- I seem desperate to be able to copy these CD's into my hard drive.

Now, here comes the headbuster.

When you insert the DVD into the mac, you can easily watch the video on the DVD player,.. No problem. But if you try to open the folder in which the DVD's are in,,,, Nothing appears. Literarily, nothing.

I downloaded "Handbrake", because I read somewhere it is a good program to Rip DVD's into hard drive, but it is unable to do so because it says something like: "This is handbrake 64-bit, VLC detected, but not 64bit".

I think SONATA VOLUME is the default name that some SONY program uses to its edited videos.

I think the videos are in .VOB format.
¿What does " sudo open /SONATA VOLUME/VIDEO_TS " mean? Because iv read it somewhere, and I have no clue what it means.

Sorry for the long post, but I didn't know how to explain my problem clearly.

Thanks for reading!O:)

C

chas_m

1. To fix Handbrake, download the 64-bit Intel build of VLC (in other words, your copy is out of date) and replace the old one with it.

2. Chances are the VOB files are hidden by positioning them off the viewable window when it opens. Scroll bars can be your friend if this is the case.

Handbrake, once the VLC is updated should do the trick. Let us know how you get on.

PS. As for "sudo open blah blah blah," just forget about it. That way madness lies.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, ill try it later on my iMac..!

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perfect. Had no problems.
Then moved it into iMovie and did my first project on that.
Nice result
Thanks!! :)

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem with discs that show up as "Sonata Volume".

I have already tried updating VLC and Handbrake, and have tried the older 64bit versions as well. I've also tried Mactheripper, and a few other software. I have been able to copy the files to my harddrive for playback, but I'm unable to convert them to a form that can be edited in video programs like iMovie.

Any suggestions for getting these files into an editable form?

thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.