Help me find Disk Utility!!

Reaction score
I need to get a new portable Hard Drive formatted to my Macbook Pro. Instructions seem simple enough: Applications > Utilities > Disk Utilities
Unfortunately Disk Utilities isn't there. :Angry: I have used the search bar/spotlight and it keeps telling me there is nothing named "Disk Utilities" on the computer...

Any idea on where to find it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac is this and which version of OSX? BTW it's Disk Utility (Singular). It should be in Applications/Utilities on any Mac where OSX is properly installed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac is this? Is it new? Used? Did you install 10.5.8 or did it come installed? Did you purchase it new?

What I am getting at is all Macs from the factory have Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. I am wondering if you got it used and maybe the previous owner deleted it.

Can you tell us a bit more.

Also do you have the OSX DVD that came with the Machine?

With 10.5.8 you can do an Archive and Install and reinstall OSX but it will keep all your settings and Applications. Either that or you can use Pacifist to get Disk Utility from the OSX DVD.

OP
T
Reaction score
I bought it new. It came already installed. And I'm not sure if I have the dvd, but I wouldn't have thrown out something like that, so I'll try out what you've suggested if I can find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Is there a dashed line box in your Dock labeled Disk Utility? If so, that's a sure way to know it's gone missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
You will have the Install Disc if the machine was new as Apple always give you the OS Disc.

I am assuming you bought the machine from an Apple Store or an authorised dealer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.