is it easy as creating an other partition and install win 7 on it

or someone could point me at a guide
thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason for using Boot Camp is two fold:

1. It provides an easy way to partition your hard drive so Windows can be installed. The BC assistant can also be used to remove that partition if you should want to remove Windows later on.

2. The second reason is that it provides drivers for your Mac hardware that allows it to function properly with Windows.

Is there some reason why you don't want to use the Boot Camp assistant?

You can certainly partition your hard drive manually using Disk Utility and then boot your Mac with the Windows 7 DVD and install to the new partition you created. However, you would then need to install the drivers that Windows requires to operate properly.

You can always install Windows 7 in a VM instead. You have your choice of Parallels, Fusion, or the free VirtualBox.

Regards.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
the reason why i dont want to run on bootcamp is that i dont want to run 2 os and games ( like crysis 1-2 f.e.a.r 2 cod 4 ) on only 4gb of ram

i would like to be able to play at the higest settings

specs on my mbp

17" i7 2.66
4gb ram
geforce 330 512bm
7200 trm hdd

Reaction score
BootCamp is a dual-boot solution. You will only be using 1 OS at a time. You will be able to use all of your RAM for Windows when you boot into it. I'm not sure why you think BC won't do that, but that's its purpose. That's far and away the best choice for creating a bootable Win7 partition on your Mac - trust us on this one. Please read the stickies at the top of the forum and print out the boot camp instructions before proceeding.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.