macbook pro shutting down, not going to sleep

Reaction score
Hi. First post. My less-than-a-year-old Macbook is acting weird. About a week and a half ago I decided to set up a logon password. Since then, the laptop will shut down instead of going to sleep. I've gotten rid of the password, but never know whether the mac will wake up when I open the lid, or shut down and have to be restarted. I've tried to be careful to not let the battery run down to zero, and avoid leaving it on the charger too long. I recently got a coolmat with fans and a usb hub and it seems to be running cool. Is this the beginning of a serious problem? Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
I've done a quick search and it appears its a known problem. Unfortunately I couldn't find a solution. If its less then a year old it will be covered by Apples warranty. The best idea is to head down to your nearest apple store / make a appointment with a Genius

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before taking it on to Apple try resetting the SMC. See the following LINK.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.