Panther and Jaguar

M

mimmyhonker

I just bought a new PB and also bought Panther along with it. What are the improvements over Jaguar, and is it worth it? Thanks!

OP
R

RobDreugan

mimmyhonker said:
I just bought a new PB and also bought Panther along with it. What are the improvements over Jaguar, and is it worth it? Thanks!

if you go to apple's website and take a look at the panther features, it tells you right there. There's alot of differences, the only thing that I really don't get is what would be the point of buying a 64bit OS for a processor that isn't 64bit.

I guess the new features make it attratcive, but it would seem to be you won't see a performance increase unless yer using a G5. Maybe I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
panther is 32bit, optimized for a 64bit architecture was my understanding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
MacAddikt said:
panther is 32bit, optimized for a 64bit architecture was my understanding
Yes, OS X 10.3 is NOT a 64 bit OS. It is a 32 bit OS with some code optimized for 64 bit processors. It may be another upgrade or two before we see a truly 64 bit OS.

OP
R

RobDreugan

schweb said:
Yes, OS X 10.3 is NOT a 64 bit OS. It is a 32 bit OS with some code optimized for 64 bit processors. It may be another upgrade or two before we see a truly 64 bit OS.

Well that kinda sux, I guess. Its possible I read it wrong, but it really seemed like they were pushing the fact it was a 64bit os. Ah well, hopefully I'll notice some changes besides the obvious features.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.