Apple-Mail & Newsgroups.

Reaction score
Can I use Apple-Mail for downloading Newsgroups and if so, how do I do it?

Also, how can I hide or adjust my email address to avoid receiving sp@m?

My ISP is Talk-Talk (dot) Net.

C

chas_m

No, Mail does not work with Newsgroups.

There are several newsgroup readers out there. I use the (now "old" version of) Unison, from Panic ($29). Their recent upgrade to 2.0 was fraught with issues, but I believe those issues are now sorted (finally) and so I'd suggest you try it out and see how you like it.

As for "hiding" your email address, I'm not sure what you mean, but what a lot of people do is they have a "public" email address (let's say a free Yahoo account or something like that) which they give out on public websites that require it -- and a "private" email address that is only given to trusted people.

Then, everything sent to the "public" email is just junked.

Another good tip is to use MobileMe or Gmail, as they both "trap" a lot of incoming spam before it gets to you. Finally, use the junk filter on Mail -- it works pretty well once its trained.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can I use Apple-Mail for downloading Newsgroups and if so, how do I do it?

As you've been advised by chas Apple Mail only does mail. Thunderbird is an excellent free newsreader for OS X and is continuously being updated. It's also a good mail client although I prefer Apple Mail. Same folks who developed Firefox also develop T-Bird.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.