Printing a word Doc

Reaction score
I've done a search on this and came up with some threads that were a few years old, recommending specific programs . I am looking for a more up to date suggestion

I received an email with a WD and there are 2 ways to open it in Gmail.

I can use "Quick Look" that shows the document perfectly, with pictures and correct font. I just cannot print it.

Or, I can open it as a WD, but it is all in a garbled language and I can print it, but am not interested in doing so in that format.

How can I open it correctly as well a print it.

I have no issues with my printer, it is the document or my lack of know-how!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
Hi Pasofino,

Quick fix; you can print a word doc straight from Gmail; if you click the view link next to the attachment in Gmail, Google Docs will allow you to print it.

On the Mac which program are you using to open the Word Document?

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Pasofino,

Quick fix; you can print a word doc straight from Gmail; if you click the view link next to the attachment in Gmail, Google Docs will allow you to print it.

On the Mac which program are you using to open the Word Document?

It does open in Gmail, but there is no option to print it. It just opens, pictures, graphics and all, but no way to print it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm not familiar with the Gmail way because I use Mac's Mail application to acces my Gmail accounts so I'll someone else answer that part of your question. If your file is just a Microsoft Word document then you need an application that can open and interpret it. Which Mac application are using to open it?

You can either buy Microsoft Office for Mac or download the free OpenOffice.org application. OpenOffice does interpret Microsoft Word files pretty well but it does have some misinterpretations of the layout, etc but it's free so it's worth trying first. There are other applications you can use but that's the one that comes first to my mind.

What's the file extension on the document file? If it's a .doc file then OpenOffice should open it without much problems.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the Gmail way because I use Mac's Mail application to acces my Gmail accounts so I'll someone else answer that part of your question. If your file is just a Microsoft Word document then you need an application that can open and interpret it. Which Mac application are using to open it?

You can either buy Microsoft Office for Mac or download the free OpenOffice.org application. OpenOffice does interpret Microsoft Word files pretty well but it does have some misinterpretations of the layout, etc but it's free so it's worth trying first. There are other applications you can use but that's the one that comes first to my mind.

What's the file extension on the document file? If it's a .doc file then OpenOffice should open it without much problems.

Thanks Endless. I assumed that I had a word program on my Mac, but I will download Open Office.

I really don't want anything from Microsoft if possible.
THanks, I am on the way to try it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks SO MUCH Endless. It worked and I am printing away.

Open Office is better than Microsoft Office.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Office is better than Microsoft Office.

I wouldn't go that far.... but it is free.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far.... but it is free.

Regards.

HA!! If you had had as many run ins with Office, you might agree! You may be right though, I've used this , what, one time!

Free does make it a LOT more attractive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I assumed that I had a word program on my Mac, but I will download Open Office.
You do have an included basic word processor called TextEdit. I do believe it does open some Microsoft Word files. For a more full featured word processor you do have to use a different one.

iWork is Mac's equivalent to Mircrosoft's Office if you need more than word processing but OpenOffice also has more than just a word processing application.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Pasofino:

One thing I should have mentioned to you is that instead of having to download a full Office suite to get MS Word compatibility for free, there is a small Mac application called "Bean". It's an excellent word processor and is very much like the "Pages" WP program that comes with iWork. The difference is that Bean can be set to open and create *.DOC by default.

Give it a try. It's small, fast, and of course free. LINK

Let me know how you like it.

Regards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Endles, I did try Text/Edit and it wouldn't open the doc. I can use it, but it doesn't have all I need. It is useful for other applications.

Chscag - thanks, I will go download it now and see what it is all about.

I just love this forum.

OP
P
Reaction score
OK, I've downloaded Bean and it is in my Applications folder. It asks me to "eject the disk image" and I have no idea how to do that!

I can eject a disk if I've put one in, but I did not use a disk!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just drag the "Bean" disk image to the trash as it's no longer needed. Make sure you place the Bean.app in your applications folder. Also, open the options under Bean and select *.DOC as the default. You'll be set to go.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.