Email, Office, Video player

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad, iPhone, iPod, iMac 24", MacAir, MacBook Pro 13"
Hello everyone, If read a few posts and seen how nice your Mac-experts are ;) !!
First of all, I would like to get the Mail Aplication working, but when i insert a Hotmail account it says that there was an error conecting to hotmail.es server. It tells me to make sure my email and password are correct, but Im pretty sure they are...
Does the Mail app work with Hotmail?

Also, what would be the easiest way to work with Word, Excel, and powerpoint?

And as for a Video player, what would be the most recomendable?

I feel kind of guilty because these are probably frequent questions...

Thank you..!!

C

chas_m

Let me gently encourage you to drop Hotmail. They are a haven for spammers.

But, in the spirit of welcome, here's how to add a Hotmail or Windows Live account to Mac OS X Mail (POP):
How to Access Hotmail with Mac OS X Mail - Step by Step Screenshot Walkthrough - About Email

As to your second question, you can easily buy the Home Edition of Microsoft Office, which of course has all of those programs (and also Entourage, which of course works with Hotmail just fine so that's another option). Microsoft was originally a Mac developer and has always made a version of MS Office for Mac. Indeed, they are about to launch Office 2011 for Mac, which will replace Entourage with an all-new version of Outlook. *IF* you choose to stick with Office, I'd suggest you just wait till the make the announcement (any day now) and buy that.

Apple makes its own "visions" (as opposed to "versions") of a powerful word processor/desktop layout tool, a spreadsheet and a slideshow presenter in the form of the iWork suite (featuring Pages, Numbers and Keynote). The package, which sells for $79, is amazing -- but quite different to Office. iWork works fine with Office documents, but if you're ready for something far more elegant and easy than Office, you might head over to apple.com/iwork and have a look around or download the free trial.

There is also some free or low-cost counterparts to Office or its components made by third parties, from the free OpenOffice to Word-compatible word processors and so on. You have lots of options and price levels in this area.

Finally, for video you already have half of what you need with QuickTime, which comes on your Mac. Downloading Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian (both free) will make QuickTime work better with just about any video file you run across, but I also like to keep a copy of VLC or MPlayer X (also both free) just in case I run across a file QuickTime has trouble with.

Hope that helps!

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was extremely helpful.
Im glad I can easily get my video working for free.
As for the iWork, I will try the free trial and see how that goes... :D

I heard many times Hotmail accounts are unsafe and crappy for many different reasons.
What email servers are good?
Not that Im sure about changing, because that will give me several troubles, but to know as a general concern.

Cheers,

C

chas_m

Although I'm not a big fan of Google (and getting less so every day), GMail is the webmail standard out there and its very popular for good reason.

I am a MobileMe member so I don't need GMail, but if I didn't have MM I would probably be a GMail person strictly because once you go IMAP (the type of email service GMail and Apple offer), there's no going back to POP.

Your local ISP also (probably) offers an email account, and as POP mail goes most are equally good as each other so there's that option as well.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im trying to get the Mail app working but I have a problem on the first step.
As the Mail window pops out asking me my Name, eMail, and Password; I can't click "Mail > Preferences "...
What can I do?:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
This is the window to get your email account set up with Mail.

If you haven't already head over to Gmail and get yourself set up with a free GMail account, then wander across to Apple Mail and put in your name, gmail email address and password and hit the next button!

On the video front; Perian is simply amazing!
On the word doc front; if $79 is too much (seriously worth it though) OpenOffice is good, free, alternative.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Indeed, they are about to launch Office 2011 for Mac, which will replace Entourage with an all-new version of Outlook. *IF* you choose to stick with Office, I'd suggest you just wait till the make the announcement (any day now) and buy that.
They already have (at least they've provided a timeframe): Mac Mojo: The Office for Mac Team Blog.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note that "Outlook" will not be included with the Home and Student version of Office 2011. You'll be required to purchase the more expensive versions of Mac Office in order to obtain it. And, MS has significantly changed the way Office 2011 is licensed. (number of installs allowed)

Regards.

C

chas_m

Note that "Outlook" will not be included with the Home and Student version of Office 2011. You'll be required to purchase the more expensive versions of Mac Office in order to obtain it. And, MS has significantly changed the way Office 2011 is licensed. (number of installs allowed)

Regards.

Oh. That's disappointing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.