A few questions

Reaction score
Hi,
I just recently made the switch to Mac and can't describe how much I love it!

A few things that I can't figure out though they're probably very easy:

First question is about setting up security. I can log out and have to enter my password to log in again, but if I shut the computer down when I restart it my user account automatically logs in. I'd like to change it so if I shut it down when it is turned back on I have to enter my password to get back in.

The second problem I have is when I attach pics to forum posts. When I try and select a pic I can choose iphoto but it doesn't break down to individual pics. I also don't know if there's an easy way to downsize pics. Right now I drag any pics I want to post onto the desktop where I can select them from and attach them.

Thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I can log out and have to enter my password to log in again, but if I shut the computer down when I restart it my user account automatically logs in. I'd like to change it so if I shut it down when it is turned back on I have to enter my password to get back in.
Go to >System preferences>accounts, and click the lock and type in your admin password.
Now click on Login Options, and turn automatic login off.

The second problem I have is when I attach pics to forum posts. When I try and select a pic I can choose iphoto but it doesn't break down to individual pics. I also don't know if there's an easy way to downsize pics. Right now I drag any pics I want to post onto the desktop where I can select them from and attach them.
I'm not sure what you mean here, as far as downsize.
As for selecting multiple pics, I select them in my pictures folder, and hold command while clicking to select pics that aren't grouped together.
If they are grouped together, then I just click the first one and hold shift while I click the last one.
Usually though, I actually option (copy) drag anything I want to the desktop myself, and then delete them when I am done.
I hope I covered that question seeing that I didn't really understand what you were asking :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks 6string. I disabled the automatic login, so it should ask for the password when the computer is turned on.

While in that section of the settings I noticed that the firewall is off, and so is filevault. Should these be set to on? I kind of understand the filevault and don't know that I really need it but coming from a pc I would think the firewall should be on?

I also found there is no master password set; is there any point to that if it's a single user computer?

As for the picture issue, when posting on a forum and attaching pics I would click attach then click through folders and select the pic. On the Mac if I click attach I can select iphoto but it won't allow me to go into iphoto and get a pic, I have to put it on the desktop where I can find it to attach. I think you do it like this also but it's awkward and seems there should be an easier way.

Thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Definitely don't turn filevault on, and I believe that the master password is for filevault, which if you lose or forget, or something gets corrupted, you are a goner.
Forget about Firewall too. It is off by default (set by Apple) for a reason.
Apart from the fact that there are no Viruses for Mac, and that you can only get malware by practising unsafe surfing and dodgy downloads, your modem already has a built in firewall. The only trojans you can get, you need to enter your password to allow, after downloading dodgy stuff.
Stay away from pirated software, and anything over the top, and you have nothing to worry about.
While on that note, stay away from anti virus software. The Mac can't be effected by windows viruses, and even if you are on a network, or have windows installed on your Mac, then you should only have antivirus on the windows systems. :)

I keep my photos in my pictures folder by default, and only put photos in iPhoto once I have them in my pictures folder, so if you practice that routine, then you can select from the pictures folder in your home folder.

I've never tried to with do what you're doing with iPhoto, but I will test it out after posting this :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, when I tried with the attachment window, this is what I got
by choosing photos in the left column, and iPhoto.
So in this forum using the attachment link it worked, as well as when I used image shack uploader, and clicked the add button to browse, got the same window, to choose the same way.

Is this not what you are getting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may want to have a read of this.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html
My stand on the matter is that it is up to Windows users to have antivirus installed, and adding to that, I haven't met a Windows user yet who doesn't have antivirus software installed.
I don't feel that it is up to us to install antivirus software on our Mac OSs to protect Windows users who should have it installed on their systems anyway.
Also, for many Mac users who have installed antivirus software, it has caused slowdowns and other problems.
.... that is your choice, but that thread I linked to is a good read and you can make up your own mind about that.

OP
T
Reaction score
I didn't get that screen that you have, I'll try and figure it out tomorrow, obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Tbone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can provide a screen shot of what you are getting that might help us get it sorted :)
Screen shot:
shift/command/4, hover over item with mouse, press space bar to get camera icon, then click mouse/trackpad to take the snapshot.
It will go to your desktop.

C

chas_m

Here's the way I attach pictures to forums that offer attachments (like this one) without taking up a huge amount of space. Basically I drag a copy out of iPhoto onto the desktop, then drop it on ReSizeMe (a free program) I have in the Dock. This has been pre-set to resize photos to 400px max width, 72dpi and add a watermark. I then save and overwrite the copy on my desktop with this new smaller file. That's the one I attach to a post (like this one) and once its done I drag the photo on my desktop to the trash (since it's a lo-res copy of the one I have in iPhoto).

To write it out makes it sound like more work than it is. It's a fairly fluid motion that takes about a minute all together.

So here's a picture I took recently.

IMG_0042.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Follow these steps, Tbone:

1) On the web page you want to upload a photo to, click "Upload", "Choose File" or "Browse" (as the case may be).

2) A Finder window will appear like the one in 6string's picture. In the sidebar on the far left you'll see a category called "Media" towards the bottom (also visible in 6string's picture; it's selected). Click the triangle next to "Media" if you can't see its contents.

3) Click "Photos" to reveal all your iPhoto events and albums.

4) Click on the image(s) you want to upload.

5) Click "Open" at the bottom of the Finder window.

That's it!

I too was used to navigating through Windows Explorer to upload photos and was confused to find that iPhoto doesn't keep photos in normal folders.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks guys I figured it out. I was trying to open iphoto from the top menu. When I go to the bottom under 'media' it works fine. I knew there was an easier way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys I figured it out. I was trying to open iphoto from the top menu. When I go to the bottom under 'media' it works fine. I knew there was an easier way!
I'm pretty certain that I stated that in post#5 "choosing photos in the left column, and iPhoto." and oneironaut put it in point form in the post #10 .....Regardless, glad you got it working now :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Yup, you covered it in post #5 6string. It was late last night and when I reviewed it today my mistake was obvious.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Glad you got it straightened out.
I remember figuring out how to "drill down" when choosing attachments when I first got my Mac 2 yrs ago. It's funny once you learn your way around OS X, you'll realize it makes so much more sense than the way things are done in Windows.
It's like learning to type on a keyboard correctly and then realizing how much more efficient it is than the hunt-and-peck way you used to type. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
You're right. I am learning the OS X system but when I get stuck I think of the way windows works since it's what I know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.