System specs with no OS installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Hopefully this is the right forum for this. :)

I picked up an older Macbook 13" at work, and it has no Operating System on it at all. I have a Snow Leopard upgrade DVD and the restore DVDs from my iMac, 17" MBP and Mini, but none of them will install on it - so I assume I need to purchase a new copy (no biggie).

I'm trying to determine if my machine is a PPC or an Intel, but with no OS I'm not sure how to go about getting the system/processor specs on it. All I can find on the outside is a model # of A1181, which Google tells me is Intel, so I think I should be in luck.

As an aside, is there indeed a way that I can use any of my 3 system restore DVDs or my Snow Leopard upgrade DVD to install OSX on this guy? This machine had an OS on it when I got it, but like a good geeky guy, i wanted to blow it away and start fresh - and I did that, before realizing that I didn't have the DVDs that came with the system..

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm trying to determine if my machine is a PPC or an Intel, but with no OS I'm not sure how to go about getting the system/processor specs on it. All I can find on the outside is a model # of A1181, which Google tells me is Intel, so I think I should be in luck.

That model number denotes that it is indeed an Intel machine. It's a Core 2 Duo.

As an aside, is there indeed a way that I can use any of my 3 system restore DVDs or my Snow Leopard upgrade DVD to install OSX on this guy? This machine had an OS on it when I got it, but like a good geeky guy, i wanted to blow it away and start fresh - and I did that, before realizing that I didn't have the DVDs that came with the system..

The system restore DVD set is out, they're specific for your iMac and won't work on the MacBook. Best bet is to give Apple customer support a call and ask them to send you an original Leopard install set for your MacBook. I'm not sure how much Apple will charge but it should be less expensive than trying to buy a retail full install version of either Leopard or SL. (After installing Leopard, you can use the SL upgrade DVD.)

Regards.

OP
Seventh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Right on, thank you! :)

I'm going to kill my IT department. "We usually just throw things like the restore discs away"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I'm going to kill my IT department. "We usually just throw things like the restore discs away"...
One would think they would know better than that…

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would not worry about killing the IT department. :) They did what you would have done. When you get a lot of one system or another. You tend to keep only a small subset of things to rebuild a system.

Since I have to maintain several thousand systems. I don't need the install media that came with each system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
I would not worry about killing the IT department. :) They did what you would have done. When you get a lot of one system or another. You tend to keep only a small subset of things to rebuild a system.

Since I have to maintain several thousand systems. I don't need the install media that came with each system.

And more to point in these systems everything is normally the same with all user files kept on the server,thus making Restore disks useless to the IT Department.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if they are like most IT departments, you can bet they are all PC experts and not a Mac enthusiast amongst them otherwise he/she would hoard those system discs like crazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Hopefully this is the right forum for this. :)

I picked up an older Macbook 13" at work, and it has no Operating System on it at all. I have a Snow Leopard upgrade DVD and the restore DVDs from my iMac, 17" MBP and Mini, but none of them will install on it - so I assume I need to purchase a new copy (no biggie).

Thanks!

All you had to do to figure out PPC or intel is read what it says underneath the display. If it says any variation of the word "MacBook," then it's an intel machine. If it said, "iBook," or "PowerBook," then it's a PPC machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.