using mac for about 3 months...

L

latisha1903

just wanted to say hello. i got my first mac for my birthday, the 22nd of april. didn't actually start using my pb g4 till around the middle of may [had exams at school] i was a long time pc user. always wanted a mac. blessed to be able to purchase one. i still have my pc..music for ipod is stored on there, i play the sims II sometimes and i have photos on there...but i will be letting a friend of mine borrow the pc, my pb has become my main use..i love it.

why did everyone else switch?

1.i've always wanted a laptop
2. macs look cool
3. people said they never get stuck [which compared to pc they don't]
4. easy os system..and cool options

ciao

latisha, 21, senior in college, texas :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I switched because I was so fed up with an unreliable PC which needed constant maintenance. And I've not regretted it for a second.

Reaction score
Ease of use and portability. Try and find a PC laptop that powerful the same size for the price and stability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Ok, I'm kinda shallow. I switched b/c I just spent a ton of $$$ on a new office and didn't want to have a massive amount of desk space taken up by a computer, I didn't want another Laptop, and the iMac fit the bill on compact. Also, I just wanted something different. I had been using PC's for almost 20 years now and have owned / used everything from DOS 2.11 on my PCjr through the OS/2 and Win3.11 up to Win XP. For personal computing I wasn't too demanding; e-Mail, Quicken, Web, iTunes.

So I gave the iMac a try. Problem is after owning the iMac and using iLife, my wife and I have become much more demanding as to what we expect a home system to do, how it should perform, etc. Realistically, it would be tough to give up everything that we have gained switching to a Mac to go back to a Windows OS.

As far as the whole Windows Crashing, Viruses, spyware, etc. Never had that problem. I've had 2 viruses in the last 5 years, none of them distructive, and I;ve had one piece of spyware. And that happened before I know anything about spyware, back in 2000. And crashing, well, it did happen, but maybe one a month to once every other month, and typically in Lotus Notes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Rgertner, your lucky with the Spyware. On my PC I run two software firewalls, a hardware firewall in my router, Norton Antivirus, and I use Firefox. I still have about 15 pieces of spyware a week on it. I have never had a virus though.

I switched to Mac because they are really best suited for the kind of work I do. I had been looking at laptops for a while, and wanted something with a big screen. So, I compared all the 17" laptops on the market. I already had a good PC, so I decided "why not?" and took the switch. The only thing that bothers me slightly, is for the same price, I could have gotten a top of the line powermac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 MacBook Air 1.7 i5 - also, Mac Mini and dead 12in iBook G4 (RIP)
rs2sensen said:
Rgertner, your lucky with the Spyware. On my PC I run two software firewalls, a hardware firewall in my router, Norton Antivirus, and I use Firefox. I still have about 15 pieces of spyware a week on it. I have never had a virus though.

I switched to Mac because they are really best suited for the kind of work I do. I had been looking at laptops for a while, and wanted something with a big screen. So, I compared all the 17" laptops on the market. I already had a good PC, so I decided "why not?" and took the switch. The only thing that bothers me slightly, is for the same price, I could have gotten a top of the line powermac.

I finally binned my three-year-old XP laptop because the hard drive burned out but long before it was already driving me to Macs bacause of the constant stream of viruses (including twice, viruses that specifically targeted anti-virus programmes!) and spyware slowing it down / crashing it...

When you switch it on to do something in 10 minutes, you don't want to spend several hours / days dicking around with it just to get it to work, especially with two young kids in the house...

After about the first 6 months, it was just one problem after another... and the PC network at my work is little better - always being upgraded, yet still permanently infected with spyware...

Nightmare !!

OP
T

Tel

I switched because I was sick of my XP laptop constantly crashing and I ended up breaking the screen in one of my "blue screen rages."

Welcome to the forums, you have the same birthday as me :)

OP
L

latisha1903

Tel said:
I switched because I was sick of my XP laptop constantly crashing and I ended up breaking the screen in one of my "blue screen rages."

Welcome to the forums, you have the same birthday as me :)

Happy bLATED birthday.

OP
B

Berman

Just got my first mac (maxed out mini) and I like it. I'm impressed with all the software it comes with and how much **** it'll just do on it's own. For example, I said "hey I should turn on the bluetooth in my Razr phone and see if my mac talks to it." Within 10 seconds they were connected and my mac had downloaded all my contacts to the hard drive so as to preserve them if my phone dies. Little things like that I'm enjoying. Not that I've checked, but I wouldn't be surprised if the email addresses in my phone are now in my address book for Mail.

Plus the dashboard and expose kick the **** out of windows taskbar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.