• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

jobs makes a call

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
That was a really nice thing of Jobs to do. I don't think Gates would call the family if he was killed over a palm pilot. Shows Jobs is down to earth and really cares about people other then himself, and now I am a even more proud apple user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
It's great to hear about him doing that... As PBG4 said.... I'm proud to be a Apple user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger
well, gates would have no need to call about a palm pilot, if it was a pocket pc that'd be a different matter though.

sorry to be pedantic.

i do think it was a really good thing for Jobs to do, it shows he's got a sense of responsibility which is a rare thing in this age!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Thats the name... whne typing that last post i could not think of what the windows one was, so I just called it a palm pilot, knowing people would understand, lol sorry.

OP
T

Tel

CNN said:
The Times said that a spokesman for Jobs declined to comment on the phone call, which reportedly took place Tuesday.
Its good to know that he wansn't doing it for the publicity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
PowerBookG4 said:
That was a really nice thing of Jobs to do. I don't think Gates would call the family if he was killed over a palm pilot. Shows Jobs is down to earth and really cares about people other then himself, and now I am a even more proud apple user.

gates seems more down to earth than jobs in my opinion.. bill is givin away most of his money to cherity when he dies. his kids get fractions of his wealth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well put yourself in Jobs' position: It was after all his product that indirectly got the kid killed, how on earth would you feel about that?

I mean, we know people are killed for the dumbest of reasons every day, but when it is something you actually make yourself I think the pointlessness must really strike home.

Next question: What on earth do you say to the parents?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
Aptmunich said:
Well put yourself in Jobs' position: It was after all his product that indirectly got the kid killed, how on earth would you feel about that?

I mean, we know people are killed for the dumbest of reasons every day, but when it is something you actually make yourself I think the pointlessness must really strike home.

Next question: What on earth do you say to the parents?

Pretty much what it is reported that he did say....that the family has his sympathy and that he offered to do anything he can to help.

If it were me, I wouldn't feel any particular responsibility for someone being killed in a robbery however if it were brought to my attention...as this has been by a news story, if I had the means then I'd offer to help in as low key a was a possible....and I think that's what he did....however, I don't think Apple or Jobs has any responsibility for this act.

Frankly, this whole "boy killed over iPod" angle is really a non-story in so much as for some reason people seem to be attaching significance to the fact that an iPod was among the items stolen. I really don't see why this, as opposed to the hundreds or thousands of other robberies and murders that occur over possessions, is grabbing national attention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If it were me, I wouldn't feel any particular responsibility for someone being killed in a robbery however if it were brought to my attention...as this has been by a news story, if I had the means then I'd offer to help in as low key a was a possible....and I think that's what he did....however, I don't think Apple or Jobs has any responsibility for this act.

I agree with you totally in that it had absolutely nothing to do with Apple or the iPod really - it could just as well have been a phone, money or whatever.
But just from on a personal level I think I at least would feel more directly involved with something made by my company.

I think the fact that he even called them kind of goes with that as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Graphite said:
gates seems more down to earth than jobs in my opinion.. bill is givin away most of his money to cherity when he dies. his kids get fractions of his wealth.

That may be true, but I think Apple is much more down to Earth than Microsoft. Apple has a connection to it's customers like no other company. Heck, for April fools, remember that joke that the next version of OS X wouldn't be Tiger, but Wombat? I could never imagine something like that with Microsoft.

Apple can afford to have some spunk, they're a bit of the underdog and they know it. Watch the keynote speach, a huge percentage of it is just stabs at Microsoft. And look at Apple's marketing history, from the legendary 1984 commercial to the burning of the intel guy, they like to think differently.

Now, back on topicish:

Neither Gates nor Jobs have ever come across to me as warm and cuddly people. Jobs has seemed to be the egotistical perfectionist prick, and Gates has been the nerdy, well, just nerdy guy, lol. Yes, Gates has donated a large amount of money to charity, but so has Jobs. Yes Gates says he will donate a large amount of his money to charity when he dies, he may do that, he may not. I don't know what Jobs has said he will do, if anything. I tend to think that if Gates has publically announced where his money is going when he dies, it's more publicity than anything.

I say bravo to Jobs for calling about this incident. It shows some real class and sense of responsibility.

Thats just my 2 cents, well more like 10 cents, lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.