Cost-effective, and portable monitors/speakers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Okay, so now that I have my new Dell Studio laptop en-route (Yeah, I know, but I got a sweet deal on it, and I'll get a Mac down the line when I can save the cash), and with the idea of a portable recording solution in mind, I need some advice on some reference monitors/speakers.

Basically, my interface is bus-powered, and I'll have headphones for that, but I need something that's price-friendly, but sound decent.

I don't need a pro line of speakers or anything like that, just something I can throw in my bag with my laptop and interface so I can have the option of speakers for referencing on the go.

Thanks ahead for the input!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You mentioned what you were looking for in the way of speakers...but you really didn't give much detail on what you're looking for in the way of a monitor.

- Nick

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've delved into recording/mixing in the past as I've played with bands, but we never really had a "proper" recording setup. It was always whatever we could find or McGuyver together from various devices to use as a PA system/record..

That said, I'm still new to a lot of the recording terms, and monitors vs. speakers is one of them..

I'm slowly reading and researching different terms so I can get used to things before I head to school for audio engineering..

Basically, I want a portable (self/bus powered) set of speakers or monitors, that I can plug into the outputs of my interface (M-Audio Firewire Solo), so when I'm travelling with my portable studio, I'll have something to use to listen to what I'm playing, while i'm playing it... So I guess monitors woudl apply..

I'll have my Skullcandy GI headphones to connect for private listening, but I want something so I can listen to what I'm playing as I'm playing (monitors), and also for playing music through iTunes, etc..

In terms of the actual features.. I'd like it to be self-powered, I'm avoiding AC adapters at all costs.. Small form-factor (portable, light weight).. A high frequency response would be idea, but I'm sure at under $150-$200 CDN, I doubt that'll be possible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basically, I want a portable (self/bus powered) set of speakers or monitors, that I can plug into the outputs of my interface (M-Audio Firewire Solo), so when I'm travelling with my portable studio, I'll have something to use to listen to what I'm playing, while i'm playing it... So I guess monitors woudl apply..

I'm still sort of confused. When you use the term "monitors"...are you taking about an external display monitor...or are you talking about some sort of software that allows you to "monitor" the music tasks you are performing.

If you're talking about an external display "monitor"...I'm not sure you can get one that is self-powered...other than if you carry a heavy backup power supply to run this monitor on battery power...but then this really wouldn't be very convenient.

I'm also confused why you would need an external monitor when you are "on the road". Why not just stick with your laptops monitor? Yeah...I'm just asking...I know that 2 monitors can sometimes be better than one!:)

- Nick

Edit: Actually here is something I found for a USB battery powered monitor. Not sure how big & heavy the battery is that is needed to operate it.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2010/03...ttery-powered-for-that-work-anywhere-job.html

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I'm talking about monitors as in the "studio monitor" term..

I was just reading a bit about them and it appears that monitors produce a flat/linear phase and frequency response, resulting in an "uncolored" sound, which I think would be best for me.

It doesn't have to be anything professional or anything, just something that is small, portable, and I can use to hear what I'm recording.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm talking about monitors as in the "studio monitor" term..

I got it...I thought we were talking about two different "monitors".;)

Thanks,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.