Upgrading OS and other things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1
I purchased a used Macbook (2006) 2 gb RAM, 1.83 GHZ, 120 gb. , Tiger OS X, Intel GMA 950 graphics card, last year.

This year I have to upgrade to at least Leopard, but finding a Leopard for this version is very hard. I have been advised to just skip Leopard and go to a new Snow Leopard.

What I would like to know is:

-Will the Snow Leopard work with a graphics card that is 4 years old and made to work with Tiger?

-If it doesn't work, what will happen? Will my graphics be all screwed up, or remain at a Tiger level?

-Snow Leopard's specs say that OpenCL and Quicktime need the Nvidia 9400m card. I can live without Quicktime, can I live without OpenCL?

-Can I upload an earlier version of Quicktime that can work with the Intel GMA 950, and will continue to work in the Snow Leopard?

Thanks for your help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Upgrade to Snow Leopard (OS 10.6)...quick & easy...no problems.

The info you got about Quicktime is not correct...the info you got about OpenCL is correct. Even though OpenCL will not be supported...the benefits of upgrading to Snow Leopard from Tiger are worth it.

- Nick

C

chas_m

My 2007 MacBook works great with Snow Leopard ... it's actually FASTER now than it was with the original software. And yes, I've run SL on 2006 MacBooks as well.

No worries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.