Koobface

Reaction score
Ok hopefully I am posting this in the right section.

I want to say that I love my new Macbook Pro...and since I have heard all the wonderful things about Macs and no viruses I have no virus software currently on it. I plan to get some but I have not had the laptop that long yet.

My issue is that I seem to have gotten this Koobface virus. Everywhere I look it says it does not affect Macs...but I am definitely sending messages to my facebook friends with links to junk. Last night it happened when I was not even on my computer, the computer was closed...I was logged into facebook but I was not on it all night. What the heck? The even more frustrating thing is that I never clicked on anything that I can remember and 100% sure I never downloaded anything.

All the support online says to remove it but its instructions for Windows users. I need help...this is really frustrating!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know anything about how the "koobface" virus replicates itself, but it seems it's designed to target Facebook users and members. What I suggest is to look on Facebook to learn how to get rid of it. Since it can't infect your Mac, you have nothing to fear in that regard. What it's probably doing, however, is using your account to infect others.

You might want to delete your present account and create another using a strong password. If you wish, you can download and install the free ClamXav for OS X.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
It gets around by the hacker sending a link to your Facebook account from an infiltrated friends FaceBook account, or by the hacker using your FB account to send the link to your friends.
The link claims to be a funny video of you and clicking on it will take you to an external site to install a "Flash Player Update" which is actually a disguised .exe virus.
On a Windows computer you would now be affected with the virus, and it would start stealing your personal information.
On the Mac it may download the .exe file to your downloads, but since Mac cannot run .exe files it just sits in your downloads folder till you find it and delete it.

I had a similar experience yesterday, my Dads site got hacked with a redirect script that redirected to a fake virus scanner site where it without asking downloaded a .exe which promptly got trashed.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well I made a new facebook page today, invited all my friends then went back to the old page and deleted all those friends. I kept my old page just to play cafe world on...hopefully it will work.

Reaction score
This happened to me and many others before, contatcted Facebook and they said to change my password and it all stopped. Facebook says that someone hacked my Facebook account.

C

chas_m

I want to say that I love my new Macbook Pro...and since I have heard all the wonderful things about Macs and no viruses I have no virus software currently on it. I plan to get some but I have not had the laptop that long yet.

There's no need for any anti-virus software, because there are no viruses for macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.