Getting a Macbook- For School and Gaming

Reaction score
Ok, so I've decided that i deffinately would like to switch to Mac because it is so much simpler of an OS but also is very fast even when compared to PCs with the same specs, etc.

My only situation i geuss is that even though I'm getting one for a school I also will be wanting to play games, and am also a very multi-tasking type person while I'm on the computer lol. So I'd like to be able to atleast run bootcamp or even something like the Virtualization products available.

SO, I'm looking at the Macbook Pros, or even a Macbook if it's capable and am wondering what would be my best bet. I don't care about screen size really, in fact smaller would almost be better or at least better portability in general.

What is the difference between Intel i7 and i5 within the Macbook Pros? How much better are they than the dual core 2? Also with the 17 inch macbook pro it doesnt say anything about an SD card slot but has an ExpressSlot. From what i gather the express slot has most of the slots and plugins most other macs have, and this new special Espress slot? But how useful is that? I would really like to have an SD slot but i figured most macbooks and macbook pros came standard with them but didn't see it on the 17 inch.

So whats the best bang for my buck? I think the 512mb NVIDIA card might make a big difference for me too. I wish it was a gig but 256 might run most of the games i would like to play, as most aren't extremely heavy on hardware. But i know 512 would, and even be able to do so with a Virtualization Windows program.

I don't know lol I'm lost guys haha can anyone help me out and make sense of this rambling?

Thanks very much in advance, I'm excited to get a Mac and get away from the cluttered spyware infested PC, not even bothering to try Windows 7 lol
:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the forums....

My only situation i geuss is that even though I'm getting one for a school I also will be wanting to play games, and am also a very multi-tasking type person while I'm on the computer lol. So I'd like to be able to atleast run bootcamp or even something like the Virtualization products available.
To get the best performance bootcamp is the way to go if you want to run windows. If you get the i7 then VMFusion/parallels could suit you to a T.

SO, I'm looking at the Macbook Pros, or even a Macbook if it's capable and am wondering what would be my best bet. I don't care about screen size really, in fact smaller would almost be better or at least better portability in general.
If you do a lot of multitasking as well as playing games, stay away from the Macbook's.
You will be looking towards the 15" or 17"

What is the difference between Intel i7 and i5 within the Macbook Pros? How much better are they than the dual core 2?
Have a look at Apple Support MacbookPro i5 and i7 performance

With the 17 inch macbook pro it doesnt say anything about an SD card slot but has an ExpressSlot. From what i gather the express slot has most of the slots and plugins most other macs have, and this new special Espress slot? But how useful is that? I would really like to have an SD slot but i figured most macbooks and macbook pros came standard with them but didn't see it on the 17 inch.
It has a SD card slot
Apple%20-%20MacBook%20Pro%20-%20Technical%20Specifications-1.jpg

So whats the best bang for my buck?
Is more a personal choice this. Anything Apple you get MORE bang for your buck. But why not have a look at there Refurb Store as they have some great deals there and with the same warranty as you would get on a NEW Mac

If you have anymore questions dont be shy in asking :)

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Wow thanks!

I suppose at this point i deffinately want to go with the Macbook Pro, probably 15 inch with 2.66 GH since i t has the 512mb GeForce, I will probaly be running games in Windows with bootcamp just so i can utilize all of the macs power when playings online. The difference is only 50 bux lol and that's new. Does anyone see a problem with this or something I could do that would be cheaper? And the sites all say i could customize my Macbook Pro, but i see no way to do that... is that jsut saying i can do that at a Mac store or soemthing like that? Maybe a link? lol

EDIT: See i found this and it has two Graphics caqrds but it has intel core duo... Will the lack of i5 or i7 effect me much?
http://store.apple.com/us-hed/product/FB986LL/A?mco=MTA4MzQ4NjU

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The difference is only 50 bux lol and that's new. Does anyone see a problem with this or something I could do that would be cheaper?
Only the Refurb store will you get cheaper .....

And the sites all say i could customize my Macbook Pro, but i see no way to do that... is that jsut saying i can do that at a Mac store or soemthing like that? Maybe a link? lol

You can customise your MBP yourself, to the point of upgrading your HDD or Ram. All can be done from home with the right tools.
You can purchase RAM and HDD's from OWC ~ MacSales. Find the MyOWC tab click it then follow the prompts to put in your Mac Specs. Then it will bring up all compatible hardware for your Mac. Dont buy through  as they rip you off for upgrades.
iFixit is a Mac Repair it Yourself site and they have great tutorials to do all the work yourself. The new MB's and MBP's are a little more difficult than the earlier models as they are Unibody now, but still nice and easy to do it yourself :)

Cheers

EDIT : that link just took me to the Education site :(
And i wouldnt be looking at upgrading your video card as it cant be done in the MBP's

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on how to upgrade! I had no idea it was that easy to upgrade a mac, but at the same time I'm in a position where part of the cost is in loans for school so i might as well get all i need from the start.

Processor 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 Cache 6MB shared

System bus 1066MHz

Memory 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM; supports up to 8GB

Hard drive1 500GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

Slot-loading optical drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory2

Graphics Memory 512MB GDDR3

Video Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately)

Display 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution

Expansion One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps), two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), SD card slot

Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital input/analog line in, combined optical digital output/analog line out

Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet
Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification)3 ; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module

Hardware accessories 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord

IDK why the link didn't work but here is the specs on the comp, it has the two vid cards but intel cord duo, so IDK if it would be good for what i want or not, im sure it would be great for graphics but with speed, multitasking and such idk. I want the games to run smooth in bootcamp and hopefully in virtualization if i so choose, so idk if i need an i5 or i7 instead with just one graphics card or with two also... Those graphics cards combined and with the ddr3 for them is more than enough graphics power for any game besides the really graphics heavy ones am i right? Thank you all so much again, I know I'm not the most coherent when it comes to these things haha. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there are members in M-F that have had no problem with the 15" i5 to run games. Yep the 17" i7 would be the best if $ isnt a option but the 15" i5 should suit your needs OK.
If you have the chance to go into a  store to check them both out, this is also recommended.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
The 17" MBP does NOT have a SD slot it has a ExpressCard/34 slot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 17" MBP does NOT have a SD slot it has a ExpressCard/34 slot.

Thanks for the pull up... Should have stated the Pic was from a 15" and honestly i didnt realise either :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.