iPhone pictures format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I was just wondering what format a picture had to be to be able to put it on an iPhone. I took a screen shot on my computer and I want to put it on my iPhone. I drag it into the menu bar on iTunes and it's in .png format and iTunes pops up saying my iPhone cannot play that type of file. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple does not formally specify photo formats for the iPhone 4. The Safari web browser, however, supports JPG, GIF, and TIFF images, and the iPod function of the iPhone 4 supports images sychronized from iTunes.

And i got this for the iPod Touch, but im not going to say THIS IS IT because of ridicule but im presuming the Iphone4 should be able to support the same or more than the iPod Touch ... :)

iPod%20touch%20-%20Technical%20Specifications.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I know jpg's work, haven't tried any other formats.

OP
ImageX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Thanks for the input, but I don't really understand what TattooedMac is saying. You're telling me what images Safari will support because that's where I took the screenshot from? I also don't understand your whole second line of text. If you could elaborate, I think it would help me understand.

C

chas_m

I was just wondering what format a picture had to be to be able to put it on an iPhone. I took a screen shot on my computer and I want to put it on my iPhone. I drag it into the menu bar on iTunes and it's in .png format and iTunes pops up saying my iPhone cannot play that type of file. Thanks.

I've bolded the problem. That is not how you put photos on the iPhone.

The correct method is to add the screenshot to iPhoto, then sync iPhoto via iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I've bolded the problem. That is not how you put photos on the iPhone.

The correct method is to add the screenshot to iPhoto, then sync iPhoto via iTunes.

You can make a file folder and drop the photos into there and have itunes sync to the folder. iPhoto is not needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.