• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New PC vs. Mac ads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
PC vs Mac: The PC has Blu-ray capability, more software choices, and more!

Take a look at the new ad campaign M$ft is running. They tried SO hard to word things to make macs look bad.
For example, "Things just don't work the same way on Macs if you're used to a PC. For example, the mouse works differently." Really? HOW does it work differently? I'm running a logitech G9...right click is the usual right click, left click does the same left click stuff, the scroll wheel, get this, SCROLLS!! The forward and back buttons, you know, move me forward and back on a browser. Don't even get me started with the magic mouse...that's to advanced for msft to ever come up with on their own. These stuff make me laugh out loud!!

this one if funny too,
" Touch and go.
Unlike Macs, many PCs running Windows 7 support Touch, so you can browse online newspapers, flick through photo albums, and shuffle files and folders—using nothing but your fingers."

Really, I'm pretty sure we've had that way before you did. Also, what else would you use besides your fingers? Your foot? Elbow? Yeah! That must be it!

MSFT, you sink deeper and deeper the more you talk. Thank Steve Ballmer for that, I know I will!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Same old rhetoric and FUD tactics. Truly there is nothing new under the sun.

Reaction score
The only thing at Microsoft that works- pea-sized brains. And by that I mean lack thereof.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You would think with Apple's maybe 10% market share that it would not be a threat to
MS unless they have more than was last reported or they sense a growing trend for consumers really making a switch this time.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why can't these two companies start advertising the merits of their respective products without comparing it to the others? Why must it always be a "out product is better than theirs" as opposed to a "here's why you should purchase our product"? I realize that quite a few ad campaigns mention competitors but none are as bad as Apple and Microsoft's.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Isn't that a lyric from "Dogs" by Pink Floyd? ;)

That lyric would be:

"Deaf, dumb, and blind, you just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable and no-one has a real friend.
And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
And everything's done under the sun,
And you believe at heart, everyone's a killer."

"there is nothing new under the sun" is Biblical.

A little trivia for the day :D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Why can't these two companies start advertising the merits of their respective products without comparing it to the others? Why must it always be a "out product is better than theirs" as opposed to a "here's why you should purchase our product"? I realize that quite a few ad campaigns mention competitors but none are as bad as Apple and Microsoft's.
This is marketing 102. Remember the muscle car wars/

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, I might be too young for that one. ;) Regardless, it's frustrating to see ads that do little to promote their own product all the while the other company is bashed. I know this is basic marketing but each product has their own merits so why not play those up without bashing the other?

(I realize this will never happen - I'm just venting more than anything ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
That lyric would be:

"Deaf, dumb, and blind, you just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable and no-one has a real friend.
And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
And everything's done under the sun,
And you believe at heart, everyone's a killer."

"there is nothing new under the sun" is Biblical.

A little trivia for the day :D

That's the ticket! Thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Nothing more than scare tactics. Like everyone said...nothing new here.

Nothing to see here folks. Unless you have a strange fascination for really bad advertising and love to torture yourself. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Screenshot2010-08-10at11111PM.png

As the resident computer consultant for my entire extended family, I know how crazy this statement is. It is a matter of checking a box with OS X. Anyone here ever tried to network a Windows 7 computer with a Windows XP machine? Dozens of settings you will be searching for and changing.

My 5 macs were set up to share in less than 2 minutes. (and it took that long because I had to walk upstairs)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes I have to manually set up my Mac for file sharing. I have to plug in my USB hard drive. Geee that's so hard, just like putting a bluetooth device bear your mac. Oh so hard. So hard that my Mac just recognises the hard drive all on its own and is instantly ready to file share.
/end sarcasm

I think we all know the absurdity of the above statement by MS.
But the bad part of these ads is people who know nothing about computers will actually believe this tripe and when they get their computer home they will wonder why it's not as easy as the MS adverts said.

I would argue that's false advertising by MS. But there's no point as even bad MS news advertises them so best to just let these silly ads disappear into the slimy hole they came from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They missed one

Unlike Macs, PCs get plenty of malware and viruses, so you never need to regret your investment in anti-virus software.

I think MS will also release a new cologne, the scent of desperation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Oh they forgot another one too:

MS always has been at the forefront of interior design and colour matching. They invented colours like:
Windows Box beige
BSOD blue
DOS (when windows fails) black
Steve Ballmer rage red (the colour of his face when he's throws his tantrums)
And many many more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
"When it's time to enjoy movies, games, and HDTV from anywhere in your home, PCs are ready to play." Explain to me why if I launched WMP right this second, it will crash before it loads the file I clicked on? Or why LFS crashes on startup due to DX errors? iTunes also refuses to install, leaving me with several useless WMAs that my Mac doesn't convert.

"Intuitive, familiar, and easy to use, PCs do what you want: they just work."
Read above? Definitely not doing what I want... Not being easy about it either.

"Whether you're working or playing, PCs know how to help you get along with others." I've tried both. Apparently my PC doesn't like letting me do either.

"Most software is developed for PCs, and your PC will work with your music players, phones, cameras, and other devices." Yea for some reason I can't install the drivers for my bluetooth dongle either...

Why do I choose Mac? My stupid PC only works when it wants to. Good thing I only use it for gaming(or the ones that will work). This thing is nothing but headaches. I guess another reformat might be in store for me... I wish developers,developers,developers,developers released more games on OS X so I could just trash this thing for good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBeldar

I think you need to visit Steam for Mac. There is a lot of games out there for the Mac these days. That the big 2 from Blizzard (World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2) plus little developers like Freeverse and you're totally set to ditch you're PC. And for the rare time you have to play a game that has no OS X version there is always bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Actually I use Steam on my Macbook. The only game I have that gets good framerates is Counter Strike Source. It actually runs smoother than it did with the old Vista partition. I could install Sims 3 on it, but it probably wouldnt run good at all. I wish mine had the nvidia graphics.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
iBeldar

I think you need to visit Steam for Mac. ... from Blizzard (World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2) plus little developers like Freeverse and you're totally set to ditch you're PC...

You just brought up a HUGE great point! I have a friend, who is like most others who complain about macs...they have never tried them, or taken the time to learn about them. He is a DIE HARD WoW player. When I asked him what he games he cares about, he answered with WoW, CSS, and CoD, all of which are on Mac. Then I told him, and others the horrific news. All those games are run on a Mac just fine. I also was nice and said, "although, there are some games that aren't on macs yet." When he asked what were they, I just said, "I don't know, something I don't care about playing!" That was almost the quickest conversation ender!

Reaction score

You have a very good point. That reminds the time when Apple was struggling, and Steve Jobs said "The idea that Microsoft has to lose in order for Apple to win has got to go".

Microsoft, are you still stuck in the 1990s? It's time to MOVE ON already!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.