Setting up TM/SD for the first time

Reaction score
I have an iMac with a 2TB internal HD and I just picked up a 1TB External USB drive. I want to use the external drive for both TM and Super Duper, is this advisable?

I'm new to Macs and I don't even know if I need both TM and SD or can one of them do both jobs of backing up my mac?

Should I partition the drive into two partitions one for TM and one for SD or will both do a good job of backing up on one partition? And will the 1TB external drive be enough to back up my mac (I don't plan on filling the 2TB of internal storage anytime soon ;)

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
IMO...I'd use TM or SD but not both. I personally use Carbon Copy Cloner imaged to an external 64GB thumbdrive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can use your 1 TB external drive for both. Partition the drive into 2 partitions - note that both partitions will have to be formatted as HFS+ Extended Journaled using the GUID scheme. Make sure you label or name each partition distinct from the other so you do not get confused when using SuperDuper to make a clone.

Personally, I use two separate external hard drives, one dedicated to Carbon Copy Cloner, the other to Time Machine. But you can certainly use your 1 TB to serve both programs.

@JUKE179r

Actually, I recommend using both methods. Reason: CCC will give you instant access since it creates a bootable clone - but usually results in boot slowdowns when copied back to the original drive. Whereas a Time Machine restore to a clean drive gives best results for boot and speed. Also, TM allows you to restore single files and folders from any past backup, CCC does not. (only the latest)

Regards.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.