• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie '09 audio & transitions

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I am completely Mac - iMovie stupid, so any help is appreciated. I made a photo montage using Windows Movie Maker, but was having some problems with quality, so I switched to iMovie (’09). But I’ve come across a few problems as well…
If any of you used WMM, when you add in the fade in or fade transition, that is what I want the photos in iMovie to do. Sorry, not really sure how to explain it. I guess what I want is for the photos to sort of fade in/overlap each other (towards the end of each photo). Like this: iMovie Video Transitions - Overlap transition - Overlap
Why does the audio shrink when I add it? The full song is 12:37 but only 12:26 or so is added. I’ve tried stretching it to the full length and adding more stuff, but that doesn't work.

C

chas_m

Unpin the audio.

You do this by right-clicking the green "audio" portion of the timeline, and choosing "unpin."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Take a read of this excellent article too.

iMovie 09

OP
L
Reaction score
sorry to bring this up again but I still don't know how to overlap the photos? I did take a look at the article but I might have missed something... I was able to fix the audio though.

C

chas_m

sorry to bring this up again but I still don't know how to overlap the photos? I did take a look at the article but I might have missed something... I was able to fix the audio though.

Sorry, forgot to answer this part last time.

iMovie 08/09 doesn't do overlap natively, it cross fades. There's a fairly easy workaround, though: take a new still image of the photo as it appears in the last moments (I'm assuming you have the Ken Burns effect going), and make that still two or three seconds long, then cross fade to a similar still of the first image of the next photo.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you!! It worked for my first few photos (the ones with Ken Burns). The rest of my photos are fit, do I have to change them to Ken Burns to get the same effect? I rather leave them as fit though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.