• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

New to Mac and Final CutStudio Please help with query on jerky video

Reaction score
Hi

I've owned an iMac for about five weeks. Its my first Mac after many years of PC. (Sorry!!)

I bought the Mac to get into FCP editing after using Adobe Premier for a long while. I went for the iMac and the specs are 3.06 ghz processor, 4GB RAM and the graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB RAM
from the About this Mac:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0609
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3234
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

After successfully installing the Studio 3 software, I loaded some 1080i footage shot on XD Cam from a Sony EX3

For a while all was well and I began trimming down the footage and crudely assembling a rough firstedit.

Then the footage in the canvas window began to play rather eratically - like it was running at 10 FPS. As yet I have not rendered the video its straight off an external drive into the program

Is this normal? Will thefootage out put OK? Am I doing something wrong?

Any help gladly received

mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi!

Welcome to the forums!

We're going to need some more information to help you out here like:

Where are you storing your footage for scratch? You mention the video "straight off" an external drive into the program but how do you have everything setup.

Are you using a USB or a firewire drive?

What are your clip settings?

What are your sequence settings? (I assume it matches the clips)

Did you get a warning popping up that stated that it couldn't continue to play in real time?

You mentioned that you hadn't rendered, are there any indications on the sequence that it requires rendering?

Have you tried exporting a small portion of your sequence that is "jerky" during playback to see if the final product is actually jerky (depending on export settings and bitrate, you may need to transcode anyway to get smoother playback)?

Although it's an older blog - this has some interesting information about EX-3 workflow suggestions: Sony EX-1/EX-3 and Final Cut Pro, What’s Your Workflow? : SuiteTake.com

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Nethfel - thanks please see below

Hi!

Where are you storing your footage for scratch? You mention the video "straight off" an external drive into the program but how do you have everything setup. ****I have dragged the files from the drive to the desk top and/or imported them directly to FCP depending on the format. From the Sony EX3 I dragged them initially to FCE and had to use Handbrake as it did not recognise the codec, for FCP its dragged straight to the scratch folder as "Import"

Are you using a USB or a firewire drive? ****USB

What are your clip settings?***** PAss - please expand?

What are your sequence settings? (I assume it matches the clips) ****Yes

Did you get a warning popping up that stated that it couldn't continue to play in real time?*****No

You mentioned that you hadn't rendered, are there any indications on the sequence that it requires rendering? *****No it is green at the top

Have you tried exporting a small portion of your sequence that is "jerky" during playback to see if the final product is actually jerky (depending on export settings and bitrate, you may need to transcode anyway to get smoother playback)? ***Again I haven't done this as I am new to the system and probably need to play before I complain

Although it's an older blog - this has some interesting information about EX-3 workflow suggestions: Sony EX-1/EX-3 and Final Cut Pro, What’s Your Workflow? : SuiteTake.com *****GREAT THANKS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
My guess would be that the video isn't playing in real time and needs to be rendered or your scratch disk is too slow to read off of. But it's hard to say without knowing what your capture and sequence settings are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.