• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Kodak playsport and editing problems =(

Reaction score
Hey, I have tried all of my mac knowledge and nothing has worked..

here is my deal.
I bought a Kodak playsport

KODAK PLAYSPORT Video Camera

and its takes great HD footage.. i have imovie 08 and imovie hd 08.. i can import the footage I take into Imovie and it shows up in hd and looks awesome.. When ever I import it into imovie HD it looks horrible ! i use both programs to do what I need, becuase i movie does not slow down or speed up footage..

I heard that imovie 09 can speed up and slow down video, is their a way i can upgrade?

i put together this video but its def not 720 hd, and its really grinding my gears..
Some Dance Moves on Vimeo

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I heard that imovie 09 can speed up and slow down video, is their a way i can upgrade?

That's pretty much exactly what you need to do. iMovie HD is now fairly outdated. iMovie is part of the iLife suite. The upgrade is available here:

iLife - Apple Store (U.S.)

I will tell you that there are rumors that iLife '11 is about to be released. So, you may want to hold off for about a week so that you're getting the latest and greatest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You upgrade iMovie by buying a copy of iLife. As mentioned, rumors have recently surfaced that a new version is coming out soon.

Yes, iMovie 09 does have a speed change control.

What I would do is import all material into iMovie 08 and in the cases where you want to change the speed of a clip, export that clip as a high quality QuickTime file. You may also make a copy of a clip in the appropriate Event to another location and use that in iMovie HD. After setting up a new speed, export from iMovie HD and import that new file into iMovie 08.

By the way, your iMovie HD 08 is non-existent. That is likely iMovie HD 6.

OP
G
Reaction score
thanks for the reply's, why wouldnt apple just offer a free update to the new version, like spending 1500 on the comp wasn't enough ?
one thing i forgot to mention is that I have final cut express.. but it wont let me import the footage anyways.. it just says error.. can ya help me with that ?
thanks for the help..

OP
G
Reaction score
and i dont really understand why i cant take my HD footage and put it into Imovie HD, ?? it just doesn't make sense ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As time goes by, newer formats come out that older software is not going to understand. If you think you as a consumer have trouble with this, the pro market has it much worse.

Why should any company give you free software years after you bought a product. They are in business to make money. It costs money to develop software. If your system is so old that you got iMovie HD with it, then that is at least 3 years old. At minimum, it is a year and a half old, given the release date if iMovie 08.

As for FCE, what version do you have? What is the exact error you are getting? What is the work flow you are using to import the video?

What exact version do you have of iMovie HD, QuickTime, OS X?

Is your system up to date regarding the latest available software upgrades for it, including QuicKTime?

That information can help people help you.

By the way, I imported some H.264 video into iMovie HD 6.0.4 (267.4) just now. So to some degree it is possible. My videos (HD & SD) were converted by iMovie HD upon import to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) with 16-bit (Little Endian) stereo audio at 48kHz. I think that was due to the fact I imported into an HD project. When I created a regular DV size project, the importer created a DV file for the standard def file. I didn't test the 720p file with the DV project.

A test with an older version of Final Cut Pro had issues.

OP
G
Reaction score
-I have an aluminum macbook that i bought a year ago.
MAc OS X version 10.5.8
- FCE version 4.0 , 602A89 , and im just going to import movie and finding the file off the kodak playsport.. If I take the footage, edit it with i movie, save it, and then i can load it into final cut.
-I got imovie hd 6.0.3 ... i like editing with it the best, I just cant get it to be hd, maby i need to convert the footage off my kodak to another format before uploading into imovie HD..

thanks for the help

OP
G
Reaction score
so basically i either want to upload my footage into FCE in hd ( and then ill learn how to edit it ) or upload my footage into Imovie HD and edit it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you reviewed the Transfer from AVCHD tutorial at Apple for FCE?

For iMovie HD, the first thing to do is choose the right format when creating a new project. You can't change the format later in iMHD. Review the attached image.

iMovie HDScreenSnapz001.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-I have an aluminum macbook that i bought a year ago.

Call Apple to see if you are eligible for the iLife 09 package for the cost of mailing.

OP
G
Reaction score
Xstep.. THAT WAS IT !!! i was overlooking the fact it was on DV the whole time instaead of 720 hd!!! im so very excited, and you my friend are a real MacXpert !! :D

is there anyways that imovie hd views in 60 frame per sec or is 30 max ?

thank u sooooo much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad I was helpful. :)

is there anyways that imovie hd views in 60 frame per sec or is 30 max ?

I honestly don't know the answer. If you find 60fps troublesome, then post a new thread. Surely someone here has an idea how to work with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.