The Little Things

T

Tel

I've realised that one of the reasons I love my Mac, isn't just because its a great computer with a great secure OS but because of all the little things that you get when you buy a Mac.

So name some of the little things you love about your Mac that you just wouldn't get with other computers.

One of mine is the the power cord from my iBook. I love the fact that It comes with little arms to wrap the cord around, it saves having lots of cables tangled in my bag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
This is sort of a 'duh'.... but the lightup apple on the back of my PB and iBook. And especially the lightup keyboard on my PB.... I just love watching people's faces when they see that.

OP
M

Miles_Teg

As a new Mac user - I love the simplicity of the Trash icon.

I love the fact you can drag items there to "delete" - but you can also remove external devices by dragging the icon to the bin. And - don't even get me started on "uninstalling" applications by dragging items to Trash! In using PC's - it felt like I was "hurting" my computer by uninstalling applications. It was such a formal process I got the feeling I was not only removing that application - but everything that ever touched it (or resided near it in memory). I realize this is minor - but to a newbie who just made "the switch" - it was a breath of fresh air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I just posted a moment ago... but my Mac just made me happy again....

I had lost a word document.... And I mean LOST it... couldn't find it anywhere. It was a script for a TV show I am working on and I needed it NOW... so I opened the handy little spotlight tool and typed "intro" which was the only word from the whole document I could remember specifically being in it. It brought up a pretty large list of documents... which I then just sorted by kind and BINGO... it was the 3rd file down in the list. That is how a computer is supposed to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
ok, so I am with all of you so far.. I like the little arms on my powerbook power adapter, I like the light up apple on the back, and I really like the backlit keyboard, and indeed the trash can is plain and simple and makes me happy.

Reaction score
When I first recieved my iBook, I was digging through all the periphrials and I found this funny shaped power cord. After examining the iBook I found no places for that plug to go so I tossed it back into the box. Well fast forward 3 days I'm under my desk at work trying to make my power box stretch to my ibook, when it was pointed out to me that that 'funny shapped cable' actually plugged into the box. I was estatic :p That was so neat.

OP
B

BrianH

i enjoyed how neatly everything was packaged, even though i know it seems silly, and the support from peeps in the apple store. Plus, I have to give a big thumbs up to the basic start-up and 'waking up'. From pressing the power button to my desktop takes 8-10 seconds. I can barely get the XP logo to come up in that amount of time. And plus, when you wake it up from sleep, its right there, and not hazy like it is with other computers...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I think that the OS is a given.. Tiger rocks and has soooo many features that kicks Microsofts Xtrodinary Pointless OS where it hurts..

I think that the best thing I like about my mac the most is that everything just works!! You can plug and play and you dont need a phd in computing to work them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mig.gentry said:
External Battery monitor, absolute genius

Oh yeah.... love that too.... I woundn't qualify it as genius... only because somebody should have thought of it ages ago. But it seems like every Apple innovation is like that. It just makes you go... Duh.... why did somebody think of that sooner. I guess those are just the hardest to come up with sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I like the way the little light on the 'books makes it look like it's breathing when its asleep.

Love the fact that volume/brightness buttons are standard and don't need a key combo like fn+f4 to be invoked (Who ever uses F keys except in games anyway?).

Love the way you can drag 'n drop almost anything! (Try dragging a RSS podcast feed icon from a website into iTunes' podcast item).

Love the eye candy - it makes working just that little bit more enjoyable and doesn't just come across as superflous crap like visual effects do in XP.

NO BALLOON TIPS IN THE TASKBAR! Anyone else hate those in XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
wow i am agreeing with each and every post so far. lol

OP
S

swanny338

open the case of my G5 and its perfectly clean no wires, no mess, just perfection :)

Drag and drop everything

and the packaging apple computers come in is just plain cool lol

OP
T

Tel

Ohhhh... what about the catch that retracts into the screen so you cant break it or snag it on anything!

OP
M

Morrigan

Oh man, you guys have already thought of everything that I was thinking!

One thing I love aboout my PowerBook is that there are shortcut keys for everything. So if I don't feel like using the trackpad to close a window (and let's face it, even Apple couldn't avoid including a trackpad which is semi-dubious) I can do Apple + M for minimise or Apple + W to close just that window.

And closing multiple apps! Apple + TAB, and while you're holding the Apple key, just press Q on the selected icon!

And the trackpad scrolling! Who thought of that?! What a freakin genius!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I love the gong sound. Out in public, I power my iBook up, and all the people look my way, when the gong sound strikes the air. And I'm thinking, "Yeah, I'm using a mac! Jealous?"

OP
B

BrianH

The gong! what a great sound to hear. And I got to add: software updates are a breeze. Just click update and its done...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
I am a new switcher and my favorite feature by far is expose, know when i get on a windows computer it just makes me mad not having it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
how about how easy it is to fix an apple? in windows you have to do norton goback, re install the whole thing, blow it up, or call for help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
the stickers of course!

wouldnt it be cool if like an action figure of steve jobs came with every apple product insted of friggin stickers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.