Used Desktop Purchase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MacBook Pro, new 2013 21.5 IMac, iPad (retina)
I am a long time pc user (My first comp was a 286) looking to try an apple product. I have heard a lot of good about them and think it is worth a try.

I would like to purchase a used computer from ebay or the like to learn about apple computers and the operating system before I spend a lot of money for a computer I ultimately dislike.

I know NOTHING about these products and the terminology used for model types so have come here for advice.

The intended use for it will be primarily to edit home made videos and Itunes with almost no internet surfing. Obviously email would also be used.

What recommendations could you guys make for me? Please let me know what your reasonings are for your selections. I'd like to keep the cost for this about $400 if possible. There seems to be quite a few available for that price but if that is unrealistic please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
I am a long time pc user (My first comp was a 286) looking to try an apple product. I have heard a lot of good about them and think it is worth a try.

I would like to purchase a used computer from ebay or the like to learn about apple computers and the operating system before I spend a lot of money for a computer I ultimately dislike.

I know NOTHING about these products and the terminology used for model types so have come here for advice.

The intended use for it will be primarily to edit home made videos and Itunes with almost no internet surfing. Obviously email would also be used.

What recommendations could you guys make for me? Please let me know what your reasonings are for your selections. I'd like to keep the cost for this about $400 if possible. There seems to be quite a few available for that price but if that is unrealistic please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!!
For that much you should be able to get an core duo mac mini....or a power mac G5....in all honesty I don't believe the rumors that a Intel Mac mini is more powerful than a dual core G5...either would suit you well but the G5 will do better on video,but can't run the newest copy of OSX.
What you will want is either a "Spring 2006 Mac Mini" or "Quad core Powermac Mac G5" Ideally, a Dual core could also wok fine,avoid the iMac G5 they had GPU issues that caused many major issues with them.
Heres some specs...
G5... http://support.apple.com/kb/SP46
mini... http://support.apple.com/kb/SP34
Heres a G5 in your range: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-PowerMac-...-/250678055273?pt=Apple_Desktops#ht_500wt_928

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I would recommend getting the newest Macintosh possible (in terms of cpu hardware)...which would be an Intel based Macintosh. With $400 bucks to spend I would keep my eye's open for an older used:

- 1.83 or 2.0ghz MacBook
- or an older 1.83 to 2.26ghz Intel based Mac Mini

Other than e-Bay...I would check your local Craig's List as well. The computers I mentioned may or may not always be available right away...or if they are available they may not always be available for $400 or less. But believe me...if you're patient enough...you can eventually find them for $400 or less.:)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MacBook Pro, new 2013 21.5 IMac, iPad (retina)
thanks

Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking and see what comes along.

I assume that once I learn the OS on whatever model I get, any mac OS would be similar. Ture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Thanks for the advice. I'll start looking and see what comes along.

I assume that once I learn the OS on whatever model I get, any mac OS would be similar. Ture?

For the most part yes, buttonology will be a tad bit different between All versions of OSX, 9 times out of 10 you will be able to re-familiarize yourself with the differences within a few seconds.

I too had my first computer was a Packard Bell 286. with DOS Pre-Face. Couldnt even run WIN 3.01. LOL it was a champ with the 9600 baud Prodigy Dial-up internet. that was early 1991. Wow.....

Of course I could always say just go out an buy brand new, but buying used is a great way as well. You get the hang of it really quick, but not long after you will want to buy something newer or brand new and try to really open up and explore.

Welcome to the forum and Macintosh world!

Reaction score
hard to buy used

I decided I wanted to buy a mini, so I started checking ebay and craigslist. I found quite a few for sale, but they would sell for close to new prices for machines that were several years old. imacs seemed to sell for high prices too but I wasn't that familiar with what new prices were for them. I finally decided that the small savings wasn't worth the trouble and the risk. If you do a lot of looking and you aren't in a big hurry, you might run across a slightly better deal. The better deals seem to be on machines that include some extras, if the extras that are included are exactly what you need.

I was trying to get the best deal that I could. I found some online retailers that discounted the machines a small amount, and with many of them you could buy without paying sales tax. Another option was to buy a refurb from Apple. IIRC these have a small discount from new prices and have free shipping, but for most if not all states you have to pay sales tax. With refurbs you get the same warranty as with new. The downside of buying a refurb is that the demand for them keeps Apple's stock low and they frequently won't have the model that you want, at least it took a long time of watching the site to find the one that I wanted all the time I'm watching ebay and craigslist too.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would stay away from eBay entirely when purchasing either a new or used machine. There are too many risks involved and it's very difficult to straighten out a bad deal. PayPal while good, does not offer enough protection from the professional scam artists that hang out on eBay.

Purchasing from Craig's list is better since you can meet up with the seller and see in person what it is you're buying. And, most importantly try it out first.

Just my opinion.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.