• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Quick question re iTunes movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Ok, I know the policy about ripping DVDs, but is it legal/possible to burn movies purchased on the iTunes store to DVD to watch on my TV? And if so, would the picture quality be any good, or was it made for the "small screen"?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
and i wouldn't do it if it wasn't kosher, just curious.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, it would be illegal here in the U.S. to crack the encryption.

However, I do not believe there is such an app that will remove the DRM incorporated into iTunes movies and TV shows.

Even if there were, it is much easier to buy the cabling you need to connect your computer to most TVs than all that hassle and time of ripping and burning.

The iTunes SD content is not too bad, depending on how picky you want to be. I purchase most of mine in HD. While not Blu-Ray quality, it's pretty darn good.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most of my movies/tv shows are hd. But the issue of running that much cable makes it a non issue. All the tv I even have on iTunes and I only have one movie that's not in my DVD collection. I just figured if it could be done ( without the cables ) I'd just stop buying DVDs all together. Thanks for the quick reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.