Almost switcher

Reaction score
so ive been sitting on the fence about apple, steve jobs, iphones, ipods, etc for years. in college i almost made the switch but did not for financial reasons. i disliked apples apparent snobbery and zombie like following, and i found steve jobs revolting. once my ipod battery started to kick i was like f this no more apple got a zune. i still love my zune however i have lightened up on my hatred again. i am a hobby photographer and do alot more heavy duty re touching and manipulation and my 2gb of ram on vista is just doing it but it hiccups sometimes so decided to make the switch and am fairly close to pulling the trigger. i am looking at a 15 inch pro i7 4 gb will run lightroom and photoshop. have a friend that has a student copy of office for mac and am tempted to use however i work can save as windows equivelent filetype. am also interested in getting a keyboard and mouse or trackpad eventually and connecting the pro to my lcd hdtv using hdmi. my much loved zune sadly will not work on my new mac so may need to go back to the personally despised ipod. just felt like getting a word out into this neat forum and look forward to some great discussions in the future

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the MBP and join in the discussions. These forums are a great place to learn about your new Mac and everything Apple in general.

And please do not use your friend's copy of Office. Buy your own - which by the way - MS will be releasing Office 2011 for the Mac sometime in the next two months.

By the way, welcome to the forums. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
The batteries in Apple's mobile products have greatly proved in recent years. It's true for the MacBooks, iPhones, iPads, and iPods. I don't think you'll have the same problem again.

That said, you're soon to discover the reasons for supposedly "zombie-like following" for Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
Buy the MBP and join in the discussions. These forums are a great place to learn about your new Mac and everything Apple in general.

And please do not use your friend's copy of Office. Buy your own - which by the way - MS will be releasing Office 2011 for the Mac sometime in the next two months.

By the way, welcome to the forums. :)

Regards.

Some versions of Office carry a 3 user licence. Shouldn't be a problem if all the licences haven't been used. However on the Office front I would personally get iwork. Runs much better than Office and unless you do a lot of sharing with Windows based computers that run Office then I would recommend iwork. That being said the new Office 2011 might run a lot better. However for some reason I doubt it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Some versions of Office carry a 3 user licence. Shouldn't be a problem if all the licences haven't been used.

Note that the Home and Student version is the only one that has 3 serial numbers for three installations. However, it's for use within the same household, not to give away to friends. Read the MS EULA.

And BTW, that has changed for Office 2011.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Some versions of Office carry a 3 user licence. Shouldn't be a problem if all the licences haven't been used.

Well, that depends on your ethics, I guess. The license is for three computers in the same household. If you live with the other person, it's cool. Once one of you moves, someone is violating the agreement.

Reaction score
After about a year with my first Mac I could never go back to a Widows based machine at home. Jump in, get your first Mac and enjoy this forum, best group of people on the web.

As for either getting MS Office for the Mac or iWork, you could always try OpenOffice first and see if it meets your needs. It is free and is pretty good, save a few $$ and use it for the keybord/mouse.

Just a thought.

OP
S
Reaction score
yeah im thinking of doing iwork because i can just save as an office doc if i need to share it with a windows computer. and yes she has the 3 user one or else i would waste my time if i install and only had 30 uses or whatever it is now until your register. im also quite apprehensive about buying it now when ive hear about ilife 11 or whatver they will call it coming out soon :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I too used to be really turned off by the "Mac attitude" and in fact used to bash Apple products all the time... until I actually had to use a Mac daily and learned that there is are good reasons for Mac users to feel that their computing experience has been elevated. I LOVE my Macbook Pro and have never felt this way about a machine before. I'm sure it won't be long before you feel the same way. I took me awhile to really let go of Windows, but now I will never buy a Windows box again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.
Everyone always sings the "Apple this, Apple that" song.

Well, there's a reason. They didn't build the reputation from nothing. I was hesitant to pay 1600 dollars for a MacBook pro, when I'd paid 1000 for my Vista laptop with identical specs.

I will never, ever go back.
It's a jump, but it's totally worth it.
Plus, it works great with my iPhone =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
If you're on the fence go to your local Apple store, and play around with a Mac. I've had mine since January, and I couldn't see myself going back to Windows. Really an amazing machine :)

Reaction score
Go for the Mac! I used to be a PC fanboy myself, been using them since circa 1990. My wife being a teacher has been begging me for years to switch and I finally did last year to a 15" MBP and couldn't be happier.

If I was unsure before I am even more sure now. I went and (yes shamefully) bought a PC laptop today to replace our desktop. While I am Apple all the way we do have need for some PC programs and I don't want to install windows garbage on my beloved Mac. Bought a nice HP Pavilion with the AMD Turion II. Its a nice computer but so many things I hated about PC's are still an issue. It's taken me all evening to get everything setup and updated on it; whereas, my Mac was up and running in no time at all. When it goes to my desktop its ready to go NOW, not after windows finally finishes loading. And don't get me started about the track pad on it, not even in the same league as my Mac's.

In conclusion I agree with going to an Apple store (or any other nearby Apple retailer) and try one out. It takes a little while to learn but the learning curve is very easy to overcome. In short you'll absolutely love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
The "snob" moniker that's been put on Apple is PC fanboy Mac haters hype. It's simply not true. Is it being a snob when you're able to meet your claims? If I boast about something I can do and then do it, am I a snob? That's the thing with Macs, they deliver on their claims. That's not being a snob it's just being very very good.

OP
S
Reaction score
so far only one issue i downloaded skype it works fine and all except when its in the apps stack from the dock there is the circle with a line through with the app symbol in background any tips on this... there are a couple convenient apple locals if i wnat to have a genius take a peek i just find this issue interesting.
981622513_j6ydJ-O.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
log out and log back in. fixed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.66 i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
so far only one issue i downloaded skype it works fine and all except when its in the apps stack from the dock there is the circle with a line through with the app symbol in background any tips on this... there are a couple convenient apple locals if i wnat to have a genius take a peek i just find this issue interesting.
981622513_j6ydJ-O.jpg

Being a very recent switcher myself, I have found myself running into this as well with anything I install... Previous post states to log out and log back in... I have found that closing my MBP (effectively putting it to sleep) and reopening it also fixes the "broken icon"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
You could of course save yourself a lot of money and just install Windows 7 which even many Apple users will admit is a huge revelation in comparison to previous Windows systems and does compare favourably with OS X.

You would find pips in the stomach of my next door neighbour if you cut him in half he's such an Apple fan :D but even he said he was pleasantly surprised by just how good W7 is.

Just something for you to consider as an alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You could of course save yourself a lot of money and just install Windows 7 which even many Apple users will admit is a huge revelation in comparison to previous Windows systems and does compare favourably with OS X.

You would find pips in the stomach of my next door neighbour if you cut him in half he's such an Apple fan :D but even he said he was pleasantly surprised by just how good W7 is.

Just something for you to consider as an alternative.

Relevance of your post to this thread?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.