Help installing Windows using Boot Camp

Reaction score
Hello I am new here. I recently purchased Snow Leopard installation disc. I cannot install it until I add more memory which I just purchased as well. So once I install that and then SL, I can use boot camp.

Now I want to play an old PC game that i cannot on my PC because years old. Now I understand I would need to run Boot Camp and install Windows before I could play my PC game or do any Windows stuff.

I have a Windows XP Service Pack 2 disc in my hands from my old dell. Now it is just one disc so I do not know if it will work. I think its more of an update disc that I got for free when I had my old PC. So could I install any version of Windows onto my computer?? I don't need any fancy version of Windows at least Windows XP/2000. If I could use that version and it would install how much does that usually go for??

Thank you very much sorry for all the typing. I just want to make sure I know what I am doing. Any curious folks the one game I wish to play is Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Dell disk probably will not work since it's an OEM branded disk and more than likely used for recovery only.

You will need a copy of either XP SP2 or 3 full install (MS boxed or OEM system builders), Vista, or Windows 7.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok thanks. How much does Windows XP SP2 full installation cost? I don't need anything fancy. I just need Windows to play game or two, and install works whatnot. I don't want to spend about 200 for Vista

OP
M
Reaction score
While at it... where can I purchase Windows XP SP2??? All I see on microsoft.com is windows 7 for 119.00. I just want Windows XP SP2. And Im bit confused on eBay seeing some people sell XP SP2 disc for 40-60 while some sell for 100+

sorry for multi questions. I just want to make sure I know what I am doing

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You know, I can't believe that XP is still selling for close to $100 - and an OEM system builders copy at that. MS has definitely made some $$ from XP and it looks like they're still raking in money.

To the OP:

The system builders version suggested by cw107 is your best bet. I bought the same version several years ago when I had XP on my MacBook. It works well and will activate as a genuine MS copy.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Man, just can't get a break can I... lol 30 for Leopard, then 40 for 1GB memory to install so I can put in Leopard... and now 100 bucks to put windows in lol.. ugh If I know someone who has a copy of Windows XP SP2 or 3, or Vista... is there way I can install it even if they used it???

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Man, just can't get a break can I... lol 30 for Leopard, then 40 for 1GB memory to install so I can put in Leopard... and now 100 bucks to put windows in lol.. ugh If I know someone who has a copy of Windows XP SP2 or 3, or Vista... is there way I can install it even if they used it???

Not legally. Windows has a technology called 'product activation', whereby it inspects the hardware it's installed on and creates a signature based upon that hardware. Then, when the product is "activated", it transmits that signature back to Microsoft and Microsoft, in turn, issues an activation key. If the next time it's activated, there is a major mis-match, it will refuse to activate and you'll have to call into Microsoft.

If the product isn't activated, it stops working in 30, 60, or 90 days, depending on the product.

Long story made short, you have to pay to play.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.