Started with Administrator account

Reaction score
When I got my Mac almost a year ago, I just began using the Administrator account unknowingly. In the Windows world, I was used to being "Master of my domain". While I feel comfortable I'm not going to screw anything up, I still would rather not use it on a day-to-day basis. So, I created a regular user account, but I see none of my documents, music, etc. are there. Is there an easy way to move all the files from the admin account over, or will I just have to transfer them through the Public folder a few at a time?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Go back to using your admin account - that's what it's there for.

You still can't install anything that makes system changes without the need of putting in your password.

As long as you're not going into system folders and willy nilly deleting stuff that you don't know what it is, you'll be safe.

While it's totally unnecessary, imho, if you really want to... change the account to an admin account, then you'll be able to see your stuff and move it over, then change it back to a regular account.

(to the thread hijacker - you need to start your own thread, not hijack someone else's. Go to the forum you want to create a thread in and click on the "New Thread" button toward the top - left side above the list of threads.)

C

chas_m

Please see suggestions #1 and #2 of this post.

By default, Apple makes the first user of the computer the admin. This is not the same as "root." Admin is perfectly safe unless you are a total idiot, and you are not a total idiot.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I need to remember that sticky...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's pretty easy to switch to a non-admin account.

1. From your original account, create a second Admin account (which you've done)
2. Log into your new, second admin account
3. Turn off administrator privileges on your original admin account.

Your original account will now be a full-fledged standard account, with all of your documents, settings, and customizations intact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.