Windows on Mac for Civil Engineering Softwares

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am a Civil Engineer working on Special Bridges Design & Construction. I am actually working for a company but plan to start working as an independent consultant.

I am personally fully equipped with Mac and I would like to keep this OS to work. I am looking for the most suitable cross-platform to use my windows design softwares on Mac and don’t quite understand which one works the best? BootCamp, VMware, Parrallel Desktop 5? Below is a list of the softwares I regularly use for my designs:

- Autocad 2008 or 2010
- Microstran V8
- RDM6 (French freeware similar to Microstran)
- Solidworks (2007 or 2009)
- Isparc
- Autodesk Inventor (2008 or 2011)

My other concern is about the classic bugs & viruses from Windows. How does this work on a cross platform? Is there a risk of getting the viruses from Windows infecting the rest of the computer?

Thanks for your advices; any answer / advice will be very helpful!

Regards,
Olivier

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You probably need to use Boot Camp primarily because of Auto Cad. Running Windows natively on your Mac will allow you to use the full power of graphics and 3D that Auto Cad needs.

If you run Windows via Boot Camp or use VM software, you will need to take all the same AV and malware precautions that are the status quo for all Windows machines. A virus on the Windows side can not infect or cross over to OS X so you don't need to be concerned about that.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.