• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Major Corporations Are Downloading Those 100 Million Facebook Profiles off BitTorrent

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Major Corporations Are Downloading Those 100 Million Facebook Profiles off BitTorrent

Remember that torrent yesterday that contained the personal information off of 100 million scraped Facebook profiles? I thought it was strange that the guy didn't sell this information, since many companies would be interested. Turns out they are interested.

A.C. Nielsen
Agilent Technologies
Apple Computer
AT&T – Possible Macrovision
Baker & McKenzie
BBC
Bertelsmann Media
Boeing
Church of Scientology
Cisco Systems
Cox Enterprises
Davis Polk & Wardwell
Deutsche Telekom
Disney
Duracell
Ernst & Young
Fujitsu
Goldman Sachs
Halliburton
HBO & Company
Hilton Hospitality
Hitachi
HP
IBM
Intel
Intuit
Levi Strauss & Co.
Lockheed-Martin Corp
Lucasfilm
Lucent
Lucent Technologies
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co
Mcafee
MetLife
Mitsubishi
Motorola
Northrop Grumman
Novell
Nvidia
O’Melveny & Myers
Oracle Corp
Pepsi Cola
Procter and Gamble
Random House
Raytheon
Road Runner RRWE
Seagate
Sega
Siemens AG
SONY CORPORATION
Sprint
Sun Microsystems
Symantec
The Hague
Time Warner Telecom
Turner Broadcasting system
Ubisoft Entertainment
Unisys
United Nations
Univision
USPS
Viacom
Vodafone
Wells Fargo
Xerox PARC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm failing to see how this is much of a big deal. Maybe it's just that some people are too stupid to not put their whole life on fb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Wouldn't it be illegal to use those details for marketing.

"Church of Scientology" Glad I have not got much on my FaceBook page

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Even though it's a torrent of an open directory, it's interesting how many companies were all over accessing this info. There are some companies on the list, some people would not be fond of having their info.

But there has to be people among that torrent who must be in the dark about their privacy still. A couple of months ago, I had no clue my FB profile was opted into the search directory. Also, if those people whose names are in that torrent file decide they don't want to be in the directory anymore, their info is already logged and downloaded. It's beyond their control to take back their privacy, that's the scary part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
In the end if people have a public profile and post everything they can think about themselves - it's their choice and all they can do is get angry with people who download these files, never realizing they posted the info themselves knowingly providing it to anyone. What's the difference really between viewing the profile on facebook online any time of the day or looking through the same content from your own hard drive?

And of course big companies are interested, it's a survey much greater then anything they can put together in such a short time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Also, if those people whose names are in that torrent file decide they don't want to be in the directory anymore, their info is already logged and downloaded. It's beyond their control to take back their privacy, that's the scary part.

And you just hit the nail on the head !!!!!!

And what is it they say ?? Once its on the net, It's on the net forever .....

*Shudder*

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Good thing my Facebook profile is mostly a lie (use it mostly for the messaging since 95% of my friends seem to want to use FB over other better forms of communication). If those companies truly want to believe that "talking about my emotions" is a true statement of who I am, go ahead.

I'm not surprised that this has happened. I was warned that school boards were looking up FB profiles of candidates for positions so I can't say that it surprises me that the corporate world is doing the same (assuming this is at least part of their intent).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
This is an outrage! Oh wait... I don't use Facebook or TwittyPages. Nevermind. ;)

Honestly though, I feel bad on one level as it would stink to have all of my info on some media outlet's archive. Do something good (open a business) or bad (get a DUI), and your background, resume, known associates, etc... can immediately be associated with the story they publish. Then again, I thought the whole purpose of these sites was to make details of one's life accessible on the notoriously security lax internet? I find it unreasonable to believe that someone who can operate a computer, register at a site and then navigate the site and specifically choose to upload material is completely free from responsibility for whatever outcome results from posting this information. It's optional, you don't have to put all that stuff out there. To me it's like listening to someone complain their car was stolen when they left it running out in front of the gas station.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Good thing I never got into the FaceBook or Twitter crap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The problem is also you don't know whether it was actually officially the company downloading it or just an employee using their network.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
FB sent me a request. My wife had put on her page that I was her husband and wanted me to verify it. I declined. Told her she has too much personal stuff for my taste on her page and on the internet, I don't know you.:*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You subscribe to Facebook you takes your chances,

Reaction score
One company NOT on that list, surprisingly:

Microsoft. Or Google for that matter.

But I still don't see why Apple needs it.

C

chas_m

First of all, I doubt the veracity of this. All of it.

Second, I really don't care even if it was true. If there's anything to learn about me from my Facebook page, it's that I am of no interest to major corporations (save one) and the feeling is mutual.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.