Torn between these choices...help me decide

M

macwannabe

• 20" iMac G5
  • Mini + 20" Apple Cinema Display
  • Mini + 20" Dell 2005FPW Monitor

I've gone back and forth between these choices for several weeks now, but I'm close to pulling the trigger. The only thing I'm waiting for now is to see if the Mini's get updated in the next week or so.

I love the iMac's, man those things are sweet. But I also have a decent Windows gaming machine that would look amazing on either the Apple or Dell monitors. The only reason I'm considering the Dell is the price, since it's supposed to be essentially the same monitor.

I should also mention this is my first Mac, but just from playing around with it at the Apple store, I know I'm going to have a good time with it.

OP
T

Tel

Maybe the Mini and monitor, if you like mac enough after that, you could get a powermac G5 and use the monitor for that (saving you a little money later on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
I would have to recommend the iMac, only based on my personal experience with the mini. While the mini is a great machine and I love working with it, I have now regret buying it because it has cost me as much as an iMac would have. This was after buying a 19" monitor and getting my 1.42Ghz mini fully loaded. You can spend the same amount and on an iMac that will have a faster G5 processor, more RAM expansion, a larger hard drive, more firewire & usb ports, etc. That's just my $.02. Either way, however, I'm sure you will enjoy your choice.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Maybe the Mini combo since you aren't sure about whether you will like your first Mac or not. Sure, the iMac is nice but it's a risky investment considering your situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMAC Core Duo (20"/1gb/250/SD/BT/AP)
Got With The 20" Apple Imac G5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its The Best!!!

OP
B

badmojo

20" iMac. It's got a G5 proc running at over 2 gHz and a 7200 RPM HD. 128 Mb VRAM and more storage. This decision wouldn't even be close in my book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
If you can afford the iMac, get it. A 20" mini vs. a 20" iMac G5 is not logical.

OP
T

Tel

But considering its his first mac, theres no gaurentee he'll want to fully switch to the platform. If he gets the mini and later decides that he doesn't want to switch then at least he'll have a 20" screen he could put to good use and like I said, if he really likes the platform, he'd be able to get a powermac without needing to spend any extra money on a screen.

Of course the imac is a much better machine, but I know I wouldn't have started with one just because I was unsure of if I wanted to switch fully. Even though I did :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
mini and screen, decide you like it and upgrade to powermac later on... decide you don't like the mac, go back to pc and have a banging monitor.

Reaction score
Go with the Mini and the Dell monitor. Since you have a nice windows machine, you'll want to be able to use the 20in monitor with it. I have a Dell 2001FP and 2005FPW, both are great monitors. I don't know if the mini is going to be upgraded soon or not, I think there is some Apple Educator conference at the end of this week, you might want to wait until then, maybe.

No matter which you decide on, GET RAM, I suggest a gigabyte just because memory is so cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
ryanmt said:
Got With The 20" Apple Imac G5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its The Best!!!

**nods** :bone:

Reaction score
get the 20"imac no contest in my book. you will be hard pressed to find better.

OP
M

macwannabe

The only thing that is holding me back from the iMac is the fact that I won't be able to use my Windows machine with the great monitor. I do think that I will want to make a full switch to Mac, but I can't be certain. On the other hand, I've played around with the Mini's, and it's the noticeably slower machine. I just have this gut feeling that I'm going to love the MacOS and I'll be disappointed that I didn't get the iMac if I go with the Mini, but at the same time, I still like to game on my Windows machine.

I appreciate everyone's input, I really have to make a hard, informed decision considering the investment that is going to be made. :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I said to go to with the mac mini that was in case you don't like the mac. If you are sure you want to use the mac for the future, go with the imac it is alot more powerful... That is my opinion to get the mac mini if with the apple display since you are a switcher and there is not gaurentee (although macs are the best computers) that you will like it.

Reaction score
games are out grown before you know it, don't let that sway your decision The investment will end up to be more than just about games ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
HERE SHOULD BE THE MAIN QUESTION: What will you use the mac for?

OP
M

macwannabe

Well, I'm throwing caution into the wind and going out and getting myself the 20" iMac today. Thanks for everyone's input, the iMac's are just too sweet to pass up.

OP
T

Tel

Nice, let us know how you like it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

By the way, has anyone used a 20" iMac with a 20" Apple monitor as a secondary monitor. I play to get both some time early next year but I'm wondering if they'll look odd together with the iMac screen being higher up. I'd sooner get a 17" if that meant the monitors would be level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I want to know how you like it when you are using it... Congrats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
macwannabe said:
Well, I'm throwing caution into the wind and going out and getting myself the 20" iMac today. Thanks for everyone's input, the iMac's are just too sweet to pass up.

Awesome!... you're gonna love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.