• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

copying just avi names/titles

Reaction score
I have many avi files for which i want to just copy/ extract just the names and paste them into say a spreadsheet.. I tried word, iwork and nothing seems to work.. it copies the entire avi video.. I want only the titles..

How to do this in say a batch form instead of each individually using get info would take way to long

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Usually if I need a listing of all of a given file - and hopefully they're all in one directory or one hierarchy of directories - I:

Open a terminal (Applications -> utilities -> terminal)
Change directory to where my files are (easy way is to in a finder window, navigate to the folder containing your videos and in the terminal type: cd <space> (don't hit enter yet) and in the finder window at the top where it says the folder name your looking at, click and hold on the little folder icon and drag it into the terminal window and release the mouse button - it should have now filled in the full path in terminal. In the terminal window now press enter.)
Then do an ls feeding the output to a text file so: ls >mymovies.txt

If you have your video files stored in subfolders within that top folder you could do:

ls -R > mymovies.txt

Now you should have a text file in your movie folder that contains a listing of all of your files (with some additional text, but it's at least a starting point)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Note that -R stands for recursive and it will list any subdirectory as well ... handy, but you might just want to get a list of the current directory, in which case just use ls without the -R tag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.