Help --- Trouble reading small print on my new 13 inch MacBookPro!

Reaction score
It seemed easy enough to read in the store but the small size of the default fonts as well as my aging eyes (especially when dimmed due to it's being on battery power) is an issue. Reading it on my lap is harder than standing and reading in the brightly lit Apple store. I can also move forward or backward as required. I've had for 3 weeks so any thought of upgrading to the 15 inch is probably out of the question. It's a more expensive machine but I now realize I'd be much happier with the screen size, resolution, i5, and 330 discrete graphics anyway. $1199 vs. $1799 --- before Apple Care and other expenses. But, I suppose the 15 inch is future proofed. Should I go for it and what will the store likely tell me regarding a change (yes or no) and what would the restocking fee be? I did buy in good faith --- my first laptop so I didn't realize the 13 inch screen might be tough on reading vision impaired eyes. (P.S. The new 21 inch iMac i3 looks very tempting --- unfortunately a laptop is probably better for me.)

I did go into display (my first Mac but pretty easy to figure out and tried lower resolution --- bigger yes, but distorted with even a small change).

Tx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Sorry im lost .....

If you want bigger text why not cmd-+ and that will enlarge the page the fit the screen ??

OP
A
Reaction score
It could be my ignorance (it's my first Mac), I went into Display and changed 1280 x800 (or whatever) to the next one and to the first wide one. Neither looked good on the screen --- distorted and bad resolution. I'll try that command you mention --- hopefully, I can still see everything from left to right (I already enlarge the page by removing the dock and pulling down the right tab; even with a full page enlarging the print might make it impossible to see the whole page --- or I could be wrong.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It works well here. Fits the text to the page so you still have the WHOLE window in front of you ... Just keep clicking that command to the most desired size.....Its basically a zoom feature

And if im not wrong in safari preferences there is a way to change all safari text to the size you want and save it for you ...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Command + and - work for Firefox too. Command + 0 restores it back to default I believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It seemed easy enough to read in the store but the small size of the default fonts as well as my aging eyes (especially when dimmed due to it's being on battery power) is an issue.
Well first off you can turn off the dimming when on battery power. Go into your system preferences and in the energy saver icon select the battery tab. After that uncheck the slightly dim option when using this power source. I hate that dimming also so I have it off. Your battery won't last as long with it off but I personally think it's worth it.

Also the screen size doesn't really have anything to do with how large the fonts are. The resolution and font size is what makes font's and pictures look larger so going to a 15" will actually make your problems worst because it has a larger resolution which makes everything smaller. Larger resolutions makes things smaller while smaller resolutions makes things bigger but you lose the sharpness from larger resolutions. Although if you can increase your font size then this becomes almost meaningless. It's better to have larger resolution with larger font sizes because it will be sharper.

So your solution is to increase your font size. In Firefox you can go to your Firefox preferences and in the content tab select the font advanced button. In there you can select a minimum font size. 12 is a good starting point and increase or decrease it depending on your preference. As mentioned by the others you can press the Command + or - keys but that zooms the whole website which also zooms pictures making them blurry.

I prefer the minimum font size feature because it only increases the font size but sometimes that does mess up the website layout a little. Chrome currently doesn't have a minimum font size feature. It's the only one of the major web browsers that doesn't.

It could be my ignorance (it's my first Mac), I went into Display and changed 1280 x800 (or whatever) to the next one and to the first wide one. Neither looked good on the screen --- distorted and bad resolution.
What you are experiencing is the limitation of flat panel displays so the problem is the same on Windows too. As you have noticed the image doesn't look good at anything but the native resolution which for your computer is 1280x800. Don't change the resolution. Instead do what I've said above.

Also another tip for you is that you can increase the font size in Finder so that all your folder text in Finder are larger too. You can also increase the folder icon sizes also. You can change these options by going to Finder's View menu and then Show View Options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It seemed easy enough to read in the store but the small size of the default fonts ....

If you mean the font in the Menu Bar at the top of your screen, then changing the resolution is indeed the only way to increase its size. And, as you've noted, that causes distortion. That's the whole story, I'm afraid.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
By the way, in Firefox, there's a number of different ways to zoom in. If you're using the trackpad, you can use the outward pinch gesture. Start with the tip of your forefinger meeting the tip of your thumb, place it on the trackpad and then open the grasp. This will make Firefox zoom in, much like on an iPhone. Additionally, you can hold Control and then use your scroll wheel (or scroll gesture on the trackpad or Magic Mouse) to zoom in.

I'm afraid that you probably won't have any more joy with the 15" MacBook Pro, because its native resolution is an even higher 1440x900 in the low end model. As the resolution increases, the font size gets smaller. The best thing to do is experiment with font and zoom settings.

And no offense intended here, but I often remind my wife of the same thing - if you find that you're having trouble discerning what otherwise normally sighted people can see, then it might be time to have your corrective lenses checked and adjusted.

Reaction score
Just do the pinch-expand touchpad gesture to enlarge. Pinch-contract to shrink. Two finger…like on a iPhone...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Just do the pinch-expand touchpad gesture to enlarge. Pinch-contract to shrink. Two finger…like on a iPhone...

Could have sworn I just heard an echo.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.