Mac Mini Memory Problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a problem which is causing consternation to everyone I've asked, I'm hoping someone here will have a solution.

I've attempted to upgrade my Mac Mini Intel 1.5GHz RAM to the maximum of 2Gb. This in itself isn't the problem as I'm confident in "breaking into" the casing and replacing RAM - I've done it before on a G4 Mac Mini.

The problem is this: the Mac only recognises there being one 1 Gb memory module and shows the other slot as being empty. I've tried swapping the modules to no avail. It seems that whatever I do, it refuses to see more than 1Gb.

I replaced the original memory in case I might have damaged the slots (even though I was ultra-careful), and both slots show memory. So that can be discounted.

I've even had the memory replaced with two new modules just in case one was faulty, but I just get the same diagnosis.

I really can't think of what to try next - any ideas will be most welcome!

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like you have already done a pretty good job trying to tackle this problem.:)

As you may know...some Mac's require you to install ram in matching pairs...but your Mac-Mini doesn't require this. If it did... then that would be something to consider.

What happens if you take the two sticks of 1 gig ram you have...and only install one 1gig stick at a time? Say...

- stick 1 in ram slot 1
- stick 2 in ram slot 1
- stick 1 in ram slot 2
- stick 2 in ram slot 2

Your ram slots may or may not be marked 1 & 2...you just decide which one is 1 & 2. This might tell you if either of the sticks of ram are bad.

Another thought...have you tried "resetting the PRAM"? On startup or restart...you do the 4 key combination of "command + option + P + R".

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

Either slot shows there being 1Gb, it's just when I put two in....

The PRAM has been zapped three times upon starting up on all occasions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am going to do some searching on this and get back to you. One quick question.

Is that the 1.5Ghz Intel Core Solo Mini?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is this: the Mac only recognises there being one 1 Gb memory module and shows the other slot as being empty. I've tried swapping the modules to no avail. It seems that whatever I do, it refuses to see more than 1Gb.

I replaced the original memory in case I might have damaged the slots (even though I was ultra-careful), and both slots show memory. So that can be discounted.

I've seen this happen before when the memory was a different speed or type from the original. Make sure the modules you're using are an exact replacement. According to Mactracker your mini takes 2 PC2 5300 DDR2 SO-DIMM.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thank you chscag. According to the labels attached to the modules:

PC2-5300 64X8 200 SODIMM

No mention of DDR2 and not sure what the 64X8 means?

Maybe it is the wrong memory I've been supplied with (again!)?

OP
W
Reaction score
The plot thickens!

I did a Mac hardware test which showed no faults, so I tried one more time to insert the two memory modules.

Switched on, zapped the PRAM three times - and there it was, 2Gb RAM showing!

So I reassembled the casing, switched on and......

only showing 1gb - back to square one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Switched on, zapped the PRAM three times - and there it was, 2Gb RAM showing!

So I reassembled the casing, switched on and......

only showing 1gb - back to square one.

This is starting to sound like a difficult intermittent problem. There's nothing harder to solve than a problem that's not repeatable! One things for sure...you're definitely getting good at assembling/disassembling that Mac-Mini!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
PC2-5300 64X8 200 SODIMM

No mention of DDR2 and not sure what the 64X8 means?

Maybe it is the wrong memory I've been supplied with (again!)?

I'm thinking your problem is incorrect memory. It looks like what you've got is PC memory which believe it or not does not always match what Macs use. It'll work one at a time but it's the combination of both modules in at the same time is what the machine is not liking.

See if you can get exact replacement modules and a refund on what you have.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Hmm, that's an interesting suggestion.

Is that despite what I mentioned about the memory showing correctly (albeit briefly)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that despite what I mentioned about the memory showing correctly (albeit briefly)?

Yes. Although we can't be 100% positive about it, the only way to eliminate the possibility of having incorrect modules is to use exact replacements. What makes me suspect the modules you have, is that your old memory works fine and the strange intermittent occurrences with the new ones.

Let us know.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.