iphoto, aperture and geotagging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
Hi all, this is my first thread and I was curious about a couple of things.

First I have trawled the internet and cannot find a decent exif editor for the Mac. Specifically I need the exif editor to be able to edit geotagged data on my photos as my phone (Samsung I8910HD) and aperture 3/iphoto 09 do not seem to be compatible in that regard. I believe from my searching on forums and the internet in general that geotagging is a very hit and miss thing as there are no real standards. My phone's geotagging works correctly on Microsoft Pro Photo Tools 2 for instance but on other programs the information needs editing slightly and the only program I have found to do this is on Windows. This is quite frustrating as its the only time I cannot do something on my Mac and require windows and I keep all my photos in Aperture 3 so its a very long winded process.

Second, I used Iphoto 09 for quite a while and I loved it so much I got Aperture 3 (stupidly thinking it would enable me to edit the geotagged data) but I also got it for my girlfriend who is into photography (who hasn't used it yet, epic fail on my part so far). Now with Iphoto 09 it has an automatic red eye removal tool but on Aperture 3 its manual. Does Aperture 3 have automatic red eye removal that I have missed as it is quite tedious doing it all manually? Also are there any good guides/tutorials showing the full extent of what Aperture 3 can do as at the moment its just a glorified photo manager at present. Finally is there any method that I haven't discovered to edit geotagged data within Aperture 3? For example on my phone and Microsoft pro photo tools 2 the geotagged data would show lat 53°32'38.01" N and Long -2°8'50.80" W however aperture/iphoto show it as lat 53°32'38.01" N and Long -2°8'48659001250.80" W. Now all I need to do is delete the numbers 486590012 after Long -2°8' and the geotagged location will display correctly. I know Aperture 3 allows me to delete geotagged location and then manually input the location onto a map and tag it that way, however thats far more time consuming than just deleting the aforementioned numbers.

Thanks in advance

Dan

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
Is this in the right section? I was torn between either switcher or images, graphic design and digitial photography. As it is quite an active forum I was expecting some form of response by now. If it belongs in another section can one of the moderators move it please.

Cheers
Dan

C

chas_m

It probably should be moved to the photography section, but I'll tell you what little I know on this topic.

Though its still in beta, ACDSee Pro for Mac sports excellent EXIF (and IPTC) features. When I look at the GPS info in the EXIF field (for pictures taken with my iPhone in my case), it is automatically shortened in the same manner as the MS program you mentioned does. See my signature for more info about this.

Also, you will probably want to look at HoudahGeo for quickly tagging photos with GPS information when the camera itself didn't. Excellent product, reasonable cost.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It probably should be moved to the photography section, but I'll tell you what little I know on this topic.

Though its still in beta, ACDSee Pro for Mac sports excellent EXIF (and IPTC) features. When I look at the GPS info in the EXIF field (for pictures taken with my iPhone in my case), it is automatically shortened in the same manner as the MS program you mentioned does. See my signature for more info about this.

Also, you will probably want to look at HoudahGeo for quickly tagging photos with GPS information when the camera itself didn't. Excellent product, reasonable cost.

Thanks for the reply. I currently use Geosetter to edit my Geotagged data which is a free program. Therefore I am unwilling to pay for a new program to be able to do it just on the Mac. I was hoping that I had perhaps missed a function or a plugin that would enable Aperture 3 to edit the geotagged data as thats the program that I use to manage my photos. However I realise I may have posted this in the wrong section. If a moderator would be so kind as to move it into the photography section it would be deeply appreciated.

Cheers

C

chas_m

I don't know Aperture 3 all that well, about all I know about it is that you CAN import GPS tracks from other devices, but I don't know if you can edit them. Sorry I can't be more help.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My current thoughts are just to write a small program to do what I need as ideally I would like to batch process the photos rather than having to individually edit the data as that is quite tedious. I've some leads so far I will report back any progress.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.