Will this Macbook Pro meet my needs? Please help!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm using a PC with FL Studio as Digital Audio Workstation, but I'm planning to transfer to a Mac to work with Logic. Since I'll be using this computer for deejaying (Traktor PRO & Rekordbox) too, I'll be needing a powerful, portable Mac. Therefore I'm asking you guys whether the specs of this MBP will meet my needs. I might use this Macbook for video-editing and photoshop/dreamweaver in the future too.

Macbook Pro 15" specs:
2.4GHz Intel Core i5
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Will this Macbook Pro be able to handle these programs without having problems running smoothly?

And I have one more question, is there a big difference in performance between the 2,4GHz and 2,53GHz model?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Based on your needs (and those of most everyone at this point), I'd say that your aforementioned MacBook Pro would handle your needs just fine; the Core i5 processor is definitely fast enough for DJing and the combined GPUs would be sufficient for video editing. The only point where I'd upgrade would be the hard drive; depending on the size of your music collection (and size of the video files you will/could be editing), 320GB is a bit on the small side.

Good luck!

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for your fast response!

I'm thinking to start with the 15" base model, and upgrade my RAM and HDD in a year or so. Hopefully the SSD's are cheaper by then.

I'm more worried about running Logic. I'm wondering how many VST's and tracks I can load until my Macbook starts lagging. I want to able to produce my music smoothly, that's my #1 priority.

And one more question: Is there a big difference in performance between the i5 and i7 model?

C

chas_m

Well, let's think about this for a minute:

Is there any other laptop out there that's more powerful than an i7?

Who makes Logic anyway?

Answer these two questions and you'll have your answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Thanks for your fast response!

I'm thinking to start with the 15" base model, and upgrade my RAM and HDD in a year or so. Hopefully the SSD's are cheaper by then.

I'm more worried about running Logic. I'm wondering how many VST's and tracks I can load until my Macbook starts lagging. I want to able to produce my music smoothly, that's my #1 priority.

And one more question: Is there a big difference in performance between the i5 and i7 model?

You'll be fine. Remember, now you won't have a big clunky OS in the way eating all of your RAM. :)

Reaction score
Mbp

I d.j. with a mbp 2.4 intel duo, 2gb ram. I usually run Abelton live with a acp-40 controller, native instruments control 1 usb interface. For production I run logic and reason 4 on my laptop. In my studio I run cubase5 and Reason (soon to be record and reason) on a PC. I have not had any problems with my mbp yet. As far as hard drive space, I run a Lacie rugged external hard drive through firewire. I keep all my music on that. So far it has been rock solid. I have a dell inspiron 1100 that I used to dj with. Overheated twice on me at a gig. Now I use it for internet access when travelling and a paper weight in my studio.

I love my MBP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.