How do I change font size in Finder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini; Mac OS X 10.6.2
And also spacing. I open view options, set the preferences, click "use as default", but then some folders still use the old 12-pt font.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If you mean the finder window, with the finder window open, when you go to view in menu, view options, and set the size, it will stay like that.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you mean the finder window, with the finder window open, when you go to view in menu, view options, and set the size, it will stay like that.

This is not true. I'm in the root folder for my disc, set the font to 10pt and everything's okay. Then I enter the Developer folder and it's 12pt again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Repeat the process but this time click "Use As Defaults" before closing the window. That should make the setting stick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And also spacing. I open view options, set the preferences, click "use as default", but then some folders still use the old 12-pt font.

And the spacing you set also reverted to what it had been?

As stated above, if you do it in proper sequence, it should stick. If it doesn't, you may have a corrupt Finder plist file, which is easy to fix. But I'm not trying to guarantee that as the source. It's just a possiblility.

Let us know how you fare.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the delay, I didn't have access to my Mac.

I did what was suggested. No avail. Additionally, when I opened the root folder in Finder, the icons were scattered all over window. What the heck was that?

And yes, spacing and generally all view settings are not preserved in some folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, then try the plist thing:

Go to HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
Find com.apple.finder.plist and move it to your Desktop
Restart (this will make a new, default plist file in Preferences)
All better?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, then try the plist thing:

Go to HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
Find com.apple.finder.plist and move it to your Desktop
Restart (this will make a new, default plist file in Preferences)
All better?
Not really. I moved the plist and restarted, but Finder works mostly as before, and it didn't create a new plist.

What did change though were the preferences set with TinkerTool. They are back to default values.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you moved the correct file, it made a new plist for Finder. I guarantee it!

What does Tinker Tool do? Perhaps it has a plist file that should be replaced. Or, perhaps you should uninstall it to see if it is the cause of the problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Tinker Tool allows the user to change several different preferences for the OS and some apps that ship with OS X. I think most of the things that it activates are things that can be activated through Terminal as well if you know the correct commands.

If I remember correctly there is a way to disable it from within the program. It looks like it also has a plist in a user's library folder in with the other preferences.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, it did make a new plist. Desktop settings were back to the defaults, but for other Finder windows, it's still as previously (10pt for most folders, 12pt for others). I uninstalled TinkerTool but the problem persists.

Also, TinkerTool's plist only contains info on the program's window, it shouldn't interfere with Finder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX do you have installed on that Mac Mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, it's time to try another user account. If you don't have one, create one in System Preferences.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, it's time to try another user account. If you don't have one, create one in System Preferences.

I created another account and grafted his plist into my account. I can't tell if it works perfectly but I checked a bunch of folders and they all look fine so far. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! Should I keep my fingers crossed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.