• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New iMac line is out :)

Reaction score
man those are nice.....look at the prce difference between the 27 and 21.5 models of the same stats. Only $200!! Who wouldn't buy the 27"? Dangit I want one BAD

lol Starcraft II on a 27" display baby! now thats nice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Here is a very nice in depth review of the ATI Radeon HD 5670.
AMD's Radeon HD 5670: Sub-$100 DirectX 11 Starts Today - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

And the conclusions I got from that review was this card is not the best on the market now. But it's pretty good and most importantly it's light on the power consumption. Something important for imacs I'm sure. Well I'm pretty sure it'll be better than my old ATI x1600. And that's all I care about.

And here's a review about the ATI Radeon HD 5750. Again very nice review. This card in the upgrade option in the 27 inch imacs.

AMD?s Radeon HD 5770 & 5750: DirectX 11 for the Mainstream Crowd - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
man those are nice.....look at the prce difference between the 27 and 21.5 models of the same stats. Only $200!! Who wouldn't buy the 27"? Dangit I want one BAD

lol Starcraft II on a 27" display baby! now thats nice

Me probably. 27 inches = more pixels to display = more work on the graphics card. The 21.5 will handle that better. Mind you if you get the upgraded card on the 27 inch you just might be ok.

So I want to ask everyone. Is getting the 27 inch worth it for $200? As in you get the option for up to 16GB ram on the 27 inch. But with the same cards will the performance hit be noticeable between the 2 screen sizes of imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was REALLY hoping they'd bring back a 23-24 incher. The 27 incher is just too danged big, and the 21.5" is a tad smaller than what I'd like to step up to. As it is, the 27 incher "may" just barely fit under my hutch. From my measurements, it looks like I have literally nano-inches of room to spare, if that even. I plan to pull the trigger soon, so it looks like a 21.5 incher is what I'll be destined to have.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I plan to pull the trigger soon, so it looks like a 21.5 incher is what I'll be destined to have.

Just curious. Which model do you intend to buy and any extras? We are also going to buy the 21.5" new model but probably will settle on the lower priced unit - and maybe add a new "Magic Trackpad".

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just curious. Which model do you intend to buy and any extras? We are also going to buy the 21.5" new model but probably will settle on the lower priced unit - and maybe add a new "Magic Trackpad".

I was going to go i5, but after reviewing the differences between the i5 and the i3, I think I will go with the i3 @ 3.2 GHz. I try to future-proof a bit by avoiding the low-end, but the i5 @ 3.6 GHz is not all that much faster than the i3 @ 3.2 GHz. I don't really care about the i5's Turbo Boost feature... all that does is overclock the cpu at certain workloads, and the boost is rather insignificant from what I'm reading (see link below). All other specs seem to be the same, so basically, any performance improvement on the i5 over the i3 seems trivial.
Core i3 vs. Core i5: Differences Between Intel's i3 and i5 Processors

As for gpu, definitely the 5670. It's faster and has double the memory of the 4670. I still play games... or so I keep telling myself I do... so I'm going on the high-side here. In reality, I don't play games like I used to... I even cancelled my pre-order for Starcraft 2. If something does catch my fancy though, I don't want my graphics to struggle too much.

I'm kinda interested in the trackpad, but I'll be passing. I'm not quite ready to get away from a mouse right now, and I think I'd rather just use our iPad as a trackpad if I can get an app that will make it work silky smooth as one. I have very large hands, and while the trackpad on the unibody MacBooks is the best by far, I'm not entirely comfortable using one exclusively. Not at that size anyway. Mice are hard enough for me to find that I like as it is (none of Apple's mice have ever suited me... not even the Magic one).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good point about the 5670. I hadn't really given the fact that it has double the memory and is faster, much thought. Probably will have discuss the upgrade with my secretary - treasurer. (wife) :)

Also, thanks for the link.

Regards.

Reaction score
Speaking of the Magic Trackpad, an update went out that puts new features in the MacBook/MacBook Pro/Air trackpads. Two finger scroll is like scrolling on an iPod touch, iPhone or iPad. It's a little fun to flick around.

Reaction score
The new iMacs looks awesome. I wish I had waited a couple more months before buying the one I have! Ah well I still love the one I have.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Even though they gave ridiculous excuses for "cons", and suggested that the performance increase was not as much as it was across the whole line, I found it to be quite a good review :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sprung for the new iMac. We were at Best Buy to have my wife's car radio checked out, and as it turns out, it's the tax-free weekend. And they had the new iMacs in stock. 40 minutes later, I walked out with the one I had wanted. So far, I'm pretty happy. I also went ahead and grabbed Starcraft 2… it looks absolutely amazing on this. Most settings are cranked up and it seems to play well, though I haven't really played much yet.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I sprung for the new iMac. We were at Best Buy to have my wife's car radio checked out, and as it turns out, it's the tax-free weekend. And they had the new iMacs in stock. 40 minutes later, I walked out with the one I had wanted. So far, I'm pretty happy. I also went ahead and grabbed Starcraft 2… it looks absolutely amazing on this. Most settings are cranked up and it seems to play well, though I haven't really played much yet.

Wicked.... Congrats on your new impulse purchase :)

Reaction score

There are 16 other states that do tax-free weekends. Mine is one of them.

I bought a bunch of dorm supplies and then I sprung for a Mini DisplayPort and iWork '09 at my local Best Buy. Kind of wanted to get a TV tuner dongle for my MacBook, but my parents insisted "no". LOL.

It seems my family is slowly switching over to the Mac- well, except for Dad anyway.

Someday I'll own another Apple desktop- seeing as I have two already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.