Which mac for me?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a web developer, and I also do screencasts of me doing a tutorial on the computer. I dont know which mac I should get for this. I need it to be able to easily record my screen while working in iMovie or adobe flash. Any suggestions on what I should get? Will the new iMac be good?

C

chas_m

Any Mac CAN do this, but the iMac with its built-in webcam seems ideal based on your requirements.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well I dont need a webcam (I meant screencast as in recording my screen), but the new cheapest iMac would work?
Thanks!

C

chas_m

Oh sure. I'm doing much the same thing on a 2007 MacBook, so yeah even the Mac mini should be able to handle this no problem.

Incidentally, after trying out a number of the screen-recording software programs (including the built-in-but-basic Quicktime X one), I find that Screenflow from Telestream is far and away my favourite. Also good (perhaps better in certain situations) are IShowU HD and Profcast. I've also heard very nice things about Camtasia but haven't personally used it.

OP
S
Reaction score
I use Camtasia currently on my windows machine (havent tried any others).
A mini would do this? What about while running other high power apps such as adove flash or video editing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I use iShowU to make tutorials on my MBP, even for Final Cut Pro and iMovie, and it doesn't seem to lag or anything like that. A mini is about as powerful as a slightly older Macbook Pro. It just doesn't have all the peripherals that other Macs have. It should suit you fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.