Wicked instability on high end apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
so, i have no idea whats wrong. FCP 5 crashes when capturing. And now, im far deep into a serious project using shake 3.5. Thing would get done if shake didnt crash, LITERALLY at every time i moved the frame cursor.

THis is 10x worse than 3dsmax. What could possibly be wrong? i ordered osx.4 the other day in HOPE that helps me in the longrun.

anything i can do? ive tried repair permissions..

thanks in advance.

M

mscnln

If you have the TechTool cd that comes with applecare, try installing TechTool and run the ram test.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
And needless to say, make sure you have the latest updaters for those apps.

K

Kokopelli

A bad DIMM seems the most likely culprit. Either that or a bad install. Also this may be obvious but make sure you have full permissions to the Shake cache directory. Shake may crash occasionally for others but if it crashed every time someone moved a frame cursor there would be a riot.

You might check you console for error messages but I seem to be the only person who ever finds anything useful there.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
if it was a bad dimm, wouldnt i not be able to run at all?

ive looked at the crashlog, theres usually the same similariites:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x7d8903a6

another

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000004

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x0000002a

Crap it probably is memory. i know from using PC's, if you got a bad stick in there it wont function at all, ive yet to have any other serious crash OS related or anything. Ive ran After Effects, and while doing huge renders i have no crashes, which will fill the ram easily ..especially with magic bullet.

I hope its not ram, i dont have the cash and/or time to be down and buy new ram.

K

Kokopelli

Apple is a little touchier about RAM than Wintel based systems. I do not know why but it is commonly accepted that this is the case.

Apple will quite often have "abberant" behavior if a particular stick of RAM is not liked by OS X. Since you are using memory intensive app the problem becomes more likely to come up.

I do not know if it is RAM that is causing your problems or not. Looking at that error I would guess it to either be bad memory or something screwy in a routine written that uses DMA. Those are blind guesses though, not based upon any experience.

I would follow the advice above, make sure all your software is up to date and if it is then try running a memory checker.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
just ran TechTools. everything passed nicely.

Now you say the issue might be DMA? that would only make sense. Im running a IDE drive on the channel with the SuperDrive that has my source video

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.