optimizing my new mac ibook... ?

F

feyd

Hello!
I am the very happy (and even proud *grins*) owner of an iBook G4.
Could anyone give me suggestions / help with questions about routine upkeep / optimizing?
I came across this bit “Graphite: Basic utilities I suggest that Macintosh does not provide are: System Optimizer, Disk Warrior, Toast, Cocktail, Weatherpop, Speed Download” from the switcher forum but it is dated February of 2003…
I would like to note that I am more of a visual person (graphic / web design software) rather than a technical / programming one.

Thank you in advance for your time and any links.
-feyd

Hardware Overview:
Machine Model: iBook G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.7f1

OP
Z

zap2

firefox!!!( best ever web broswer, or camio) neoofficej, free( replace MS office) good starters!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
also i think abi word is a good canidate if you dont want the bulk of an office suite , www.abisource.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Cocktail, or the free MacJanitor can be used to run OS X's maintenance scripts. Usually, these would run around 3AM, but most people have their macs asleep or off at those times.

Most other types of optimization are done by the system itself.

Some people like to regularly run a "permissions repair," but I don't think it's helpful unless you're having problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.